Exceeding permissible number of connections

mazorax

Ok, I know this has been covered in depth here and in the kb but I have tried everything that has been suggested and cant get past this error. I used progress explorer to create a secondary broker to handle only 4GL connections and let the default broker to handle only SQL connections. I am using the Merant ODBC Driver 03.60.0006. I have tried serveral different combinations of numbers for the server but here is what I have currently.

Default Configuration:
Maximum Users - 60
Maximum Servers - 4

DefaultServerGroup: (SQL Only)
Port - 2600
Number of servers - 4
Max Clients Per Server - 1
Min Clients Per Server - 1
Max Dyn Port - 5000
Min Dyn Port - 3000

ServerGroup-2: (4GL Only)
Port - Service Name
Number of Server - 10
Max Clients Per Server - 53
Min Clients Per Server - 1
Max Dyn port - 5000
Min Dyn Port - 3000

Any Help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Maz

mazorax

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm running progress version 9.1c on windows 2000 server. I looked but I don't have java sdk installed, I assume it must be part of the progress install. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Maz

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I don't use progress Explorer but are there also 4GL clients connected when you try
to connect with an SQL client?

I see that your maximum number of servers in your default configuration = 4, this equals the -mn parameter, you have to set that higher if you want to use 10 + 4 + 1 (for the secondary broker) servers as you use in you configuration. So in your default configuration you have to set maximum servers to 15.

Furthermore if your maximum users (-n ) is 60 then there is no need to set Max Clients Per Server - 53 for the secondary 4GL broker. You can just spread the users over the servers, so it's better to set Max Clients Per Server - 6.

HTH,

regards,

Casper.

mazorax

Yes, there are 4gl users that connect. Most of the users are 4gl and I only have maybe 5 users or so for sql. I will try these settings and get back with you. Thanks for responding!

Maz,