Error while starting a DB ....

Hi

I am trying to start the DB in -H and -S mode.
Can you pls tell me how to resolve the below error The DB is fine when i start with out passing -S (Service).

$DLC/bin/proserve <DBname> -cpinternal <> -cpstream <> -H <> -S <>

PROGRESS Version 9.1D09 as of Tue May 25 09:31:19 EDT 2004
04:47:50 BROKER 0: Multi-user session begin. (333)
04:47:55 BROKER 0: The port -32523 is already in use. (785)
04:47:55 BROKER 0: Begin normal shutdown (2248)
04:47:57 BROKER : Removed shared memory with segment_id: 2197
04:47:57 BROKER : Multi-user session end. (334)
04:47:57 BROKER : ** This process terminated with exit code 2. (8619)

Thanks in advance.....

Regards

Paco

Hi Ramya,

U cannot specify a port number at db level.. only thing u can do is u can specify the portno/service name in OS services file and u can use that portno/service name.

If you want to specify a seperate services.. u need to add the service name/Port no in the server/Operating System services file.

if it is Unix server - /etc/services - file which u need to be add ur service name and port no...
if it is Windows server - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services -file which u need to be add ur service name and port no...

This may help u i think..

Cheers,
Praba.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Putting a number after -S is specifying a port number at the db level. You can do that on db startup and when making client connections. Any firewalls on your network need to allow connections on the port number.

You only need to use /etc/services if you want to have a service name translated to a port number. Using /etc/services also helps you avoid duplicating port numbers.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Indeed, looking at /etc/services might tell you what else was using that port.

One simple explanation would be trying to start two different databases on the same port.