Error message 4149 ????

Gail Selsmeyer

I'm working in Progress V8.3B CHAR. Today I've started getting the message "Title message is too long for the window (character(s) lost). (4149). The message isn't giving me any idea of what's causing this problem. The program is a complex report, but nothing I haven't done in the past. Does anybody have ANY idea what can be triggering this thing? The message text in is so vaque I can't seem to find anything in the program that relates to it at all. Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated. This error message has me dead in the water until I can get past it.

Thanks very very much!!!!:confused:

MurrayH

From what I can remember this means that the actual window/frame title is too long and Progress will truncate it to fit the width of the frame.

Murray

Gail Selsmeyer

Okay...So I'm exceptionally dense today. The frames for the report were all tested and working fine. The prompts with frames, for user input, were also tested and working fine. I then added exports for a comma-delimited flat file (which doesn't have any frames). What kinds of things should I be looking for to resolve this? Like I said... A really "dumb" day.:confused:

MurrayH

I've seen this where you have something like this:

form
skip(1)
fielda as char
skip(1)
with frame a
title title%.

title% = title% + ????.

Its the ???? variable that blows it out. If, however, you are exporting with a frame then this may (I don't know) also cause an error. How wide is the frame?? How wide is the export?? Are then any "hidden" characters in the export / title%??

Murray

Gail Selsmeyer

My report frame is 159 characters wide. I'm not using a frame for my export and that's to a different stream. I don't have any titles except for the report title and screen title. No title attributes at all. Could have my record counter after the export statement be doing something here? The export is simply numbers and text. I'm exporting the report data so the users can pull it into Excel. I'm still too new to Progress to get into all kinds of "exotic" things, especially on our system.

I do appreciate your help with this.
Thanks much.

MurrayH

Well I'd check all the frames being displayed, either to screen or disk and put a "length" command around the title. then check the width to ensure that it is "title length + 2" or more. Not sure what much more than that.

Murray

Gail Selsmeyer

Murray,

Thank you so much for your help. I truly appreciate the effort.

It turns out that on one format attribute on one of the 21 EXPORT commands I had added I had inadvertently typed a single quote instead of a double quote. I found it only by commenting out all of the export commands and then uncommenting them one at a time and running a compile on the program. Eventually I came up on the bad one.

The error message couldn't have been more cryptic or unhelpful on this one. Even our experienced Progress programmer couldn't provide a hint.

Thank You:)

Romasio

I have been in similar situation and could not figure out the exact cause. What worked for Gail did not work for me.

So, the cause of message is related to procedure file name length being too long. Maximum filename length is 32 characters not including dot with extension. That solved the error. :awink:

HughH

I was also getting this error and eventually discovered it was because my source code file was Unicode-8 encoded. Converting it to straight ASCII solved my problem.

Abhijit Pal

The error is coming because of passing the COMPILE statement a pathname longer than 77 characters which results in the error "** Title message is too long for the window (character(s) lost). (4149)" if the compiler raises an error or warning. This is because when we get a compilation error, the error displays the program + path name in a view-as alert-box and longer path names cannot be seen in fixed size of the view-as alert-box frame.
Workaround is to use :
Use COMPILE ... NO-ERROR combination.
Run the COMPILE statement with NO-ERROR flag, then get any compiler messages using the COMPILER:NUM-MESSAGES and COMPILER:GET-MESSAGE(<number>) constructs.

eg. compile /dr01/qadapps/qadeam/programs/inventory/inventorytransaction/inventorytransaction_be.p save into /dr01/qadapps/qadeam/programs/inventory/inventorytransaction/ no-error .

rajendran

Was it wrong providing information to the old post.we developers come across the same issues at different times, so thought of providing the information which could be useful for someone with same issue again.
The last reply of this post was jun 1 2016 which may lead me to post this information.