• dump and load, scatter factor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dump and load, scatter factor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sebastian Larsson

Hello

can you help me!
I practice dump and load to a much tables with a scatter factor its superior to 10.0 values.
at the end of process I run dbanalys and the scatter factor reduce a low percent ex. (12.4 - 11.8) but i practice run the dump and load other 3 times and scatter factor reduce considerably (11.8 - 5.4)

Is there another way to run dump and load and get the best values to scatter factor at the first try?

Thanks for your help!

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
What Progress version are you using? Unless you're using an ancient and obsolete version of Progress, scatter factor is practically meaningless. Anything after version 10 gives you Type II storage areas which means you don't really need to worry about scatter.
http://dbappraise.com/ppt/123Scatter.pptx
I think that's the right PPT.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
IMHO the scatter factor reported by dbanalys for type 2 areas is not very useful. The scatter factor for old-style type 1 areas is only slightly more useful.

The "logical scatter" discussed in the PPT that Cringer points to is much more meaningful.

If you are still using type 1 areas the best thing that you can do for your database is to convert to type 2 areas.

For us to really answer any questions about scatter in your db we need to know how the storage areas are configured (the .st file) and what dbanalys has to say about the areas and tables that you are concerned about.

Use [ c o d e ] tags if you post such things -- it makes it much more readable.