DB2/400 access using ODBC DataServer

Paul Murphy

We have an application that is implemented on a number of different database platforms; Progress, Oracle, DB2/400 and MS/SQL Server. We have used the DataServers provided by Prorgess to connect to the foreign databases and have been quite successful with maintaining a single set of source files with limited conditional code for specific database platforms.

However Progress will no longer be providing a Progress/400 DataServer. The last version was 9.1C. The recommended migration path is to use the ODBC DataServer to access DB2 databases on the AS/400 and this is the method we plan to use. I was wondering whether anybody has used the ODBC Dataserver against a DB2/400 database and if so how successful it was and what, if any, are the pitfalls.

Paul Murphy

ODBC DataServer support for DB2/400

For anybody who may be interested the v9 ODBC DataServer does not support connectivity to DB2/400, however the OpenEdge 10.0A ODBC DataServer does.

pishabrava

Re: ODBC DataServer support for DB2/400

Hello Paul.
I am Javier García From Spain. We want to migrate from Dataserver/400 to ODBC of Open Edge Version. We have same problems with the loading of schema, indexes doesnt work, tool load then like files, and doesn´t load the labels... could you send me some information please?

Thank you very much.
Javier

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Could you maybe be more specific in the errors you are encountering. Some more background on the situation will help as well:
Progress version, OS, actions taken etc....

Regards,
Casper.

pishabrava

Hello Casper.
I´ve advanced a bit... I´ve found some useful information and utilities for progress migrating in this site:

http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?externalID=1440

I hope it´s useful for someone more. Now I´m trying to convert my schema holder in V9 to ODBC using the same pf/400 files and I have error 54 for type data converting... could somebody help me?

Regards,
Javier García "Pisha"
Spain
Note: "Sorry for my english":awink: