Crystal report through odbc using the openedge application in windows 7 is slow

sathish

when running the crystal report using the openedge 10.2a application is taking 15 seconds in the windows 2007 where as same thing is executed in 4 seconds in the other os i.e, windows 2003 server and windows xp.

when we debug through applciation we found the problem that when opening the report that is taking time .
---------------------------------samplecode----------------------------------
DEFINE VARIABLE ch-CRapplication AS COM-HANDLE NO-UNDO.
DEFINE VARIABLE ch-CRExportOptions AS COM-HANDLE NO-UNDO.

CREATE "CrystalRuntime.Application" ch-CRapplication NO-ERROR.
CREATE "CrystalRuntime.Report" ch-CRreport NO-ERROR.

ch-CRreport = ch-CRapplication:OpenReport(reportpath) NO-ERROR.
--------------------------------sample code----------------------------

The following statement is taking 14 seocnd to execute in 14 seconds ch-CRreport = ch-CRapplication:OpenReport(reportpath) NO-ERROR.the same statement takes 4 second in the windows xp and server 2003 server.

can anybody have idea what happens at this statement execution could not able to debug more at this statement.

Increased the fetch array size in the odbc setting. disblade the IPV6 and checked the performance but still it is same.

solution would be highly appreciated .

Thanks In advance.
poreddy.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
First I would ask how many different Win7 machines you have run this code on, and how consistent the results are. Your post says this is slow in Windows 7, but perhaps it is slow on this Windows 7 box?

To eliminate Progress as a culprit, you might want to find some other way to instantiate CrystalRuntime, e.g. batch file, VB script, etc., and compare start times with your application. If it takes just as long from a batch file, then the problem is not in OE. Do you have the latest version/patch of Crystal Reports? Do they have a knowledge base with any reports of similar issues for CrystalRuntime on Win7? Have you reported this performance difference on various OSes to their support channel?

You may also want to use Process Monitor to trace the program's file/network/registry/process activity on startup to see if there is any obvious reason why it takes 14 seconds from instantiation to returning control back to your code.

Also, there are any number of reasons why any given program might be slow to start, e.g. a low-memory condition, a heavily fragmented file system, a faulty disk that requires multiple read attempts to pull the .exe and other code from disk, a virus scanner that wants to check the .exe before it runs, etc.

sathish

HI Rob,

I have tried this in three different machine which has windows 7 and windows 7 service pack 1 and the same problem occur in three pc. i checked some of the option and searched the same in the crystal report channels but could not find any solution.

we are not able to debug more when this piece code is executed ch-CRreport = ch-CRapplication:OpenReport(reportpath).

I didnt tried the option Process Monitor to trace but we will check and see whether it can be helpfull in getting the cause for this issue.

Thanks for you input,

Thanks & Regards,
Poreddy