Error Could not find record. Recid <XXXXXXXX>, error number 8, return -1. (12011)

pankajpatel23

Hi ALL,

I am getting below error message when I'm doing binary dump of the a table:

Could not find record. Recid 35271050, error number 8, return -1. (12011) Binary Dump failed. (6253)

I ran full index check on this table and didn't got any error.

So not sure how can I proceed further with the dump.
Appreciate your expert advice in resolving this error.

Thanks & Regards

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It looks like the index used for the binary dump (the primary index, by default) contains an orphaned key. The record no longer exists but the index still points to it. Before you do the steps below, do a full database backup and then restore the backup elsewhere and open the restored DB to ensure it is valid.

Try running idxfix option 2:

Code:
proutil <dbname> -C idxfix

Select option 2:
2. Scan indexes for invalid index entries.

then enter "t":
By Table (t/T) - Fix indexes in selected tables

Then select the number of the table you were dumping from the list of tables shown, and enter "g" for "Go".

Then enter the number of the index in question, or select all of them. If there is logical corruption in your database it is probably a good idea to check all indexes, either now or at some point soon.

Then:
Is this correct? (y/n) (enter y)

Validate recids for index entries.
Is this correct? (y/n) (enter y)

Fix indexes on Scan.
Is this correct? (y/n)
If you enter "n" it will do a scan for errors but it will not correct them. If you enter "y" it will scan for errors and correct any that it can. Good luck!

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I'm glad that helped.

At last year's PUG Challenge Americas conference, Progress database architect Rich Banville gave a great presentation on database corruption; how to prevent it, detect it, and resolve it. In case you encounter any physical or logical corruption in your databases in future, it is a good idea to be armed with this information in advance so you can make the right decisions.

Slide deck: http://pugchallenge.org/downloads/251_DBCorruption.pptx
Audio recording: http://pugchallenge.org/downloads/audio/251_DBCorruption.mp3