Could not find ODBC driver

hkeskin

Hi,

I'm new on progress and I have some questions. My company uses still progress 82c and I want to connect a database from .NET. I thought can use ODBC driver for it and I need to test ODBC provider. I googled and Ifound some suggestions for using open link,datadirect and merant. I couldn't use openlink that throw some error while instaling. And I could not find any link on Datadirect for progress 82c.
Can you have any suggestion for this?

Thanks in advance

RealHeavyDude

Progress 8.2c dates back to the beginning of the 1990s. There is no SQL92 support in Progress 8 - it came with Progress 9. That means there is no "real" ODBC access to a Progress 8 database - only a fake one that boils down to SQL89. Vaguely I do remember that you needed to start some extra process - was it called the Open Interface Broker? - that you needed to start and to which the clients needed to connect with the ODBC driver. A direct connection to the database was not supported.

Good luck!

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

That would be the best option. I'll take it that there is an existing Progress application running against that database. Therefore you can't just upgrade the database alone. You must also upgrade the Progress application as, for example, a Progress V8 client neither can connect to a Progress V9 ( Progress V9 is also stone age software ) nor can it an OpenEdge 10 database. When you upgrade I recommend you to at least upgrade to OE 10.2b ( which is the latest OpenEdge 10 release ) or to OpenEdge 11.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Upgrading the application is usually just a matter of being able to compile it. If you can recompile you can upgrade.

Progress is an extremely backward compatible environment so re-compiling is usually pretty simple. The main issues are that:

1) Sometimes a new keyword has been introduced that conflicts with a variable or field name in your application -- you can fix this by changing your name or by adding the conflict to the "keyword forget list".

2) Sometimes a bug gets fixed and something that never should have compiled in the first place starts to throw an error. In this case you should fix the bug. It is very rare.

3) If your application uses a GUI "framework" from Progress (ADM1, ADM2, Dynamics, etc), the thing that trips people up the most is that they do not realize that they must carry the framework forward to recompile -- the iteration of the framework in a new release is NOT backward compatible in the same way that the db engine and the 4gl are. The framework is part of the application and needs to be recompiled just like the application does. Pretend that the framework comes from a 3rd party rather than Progress and it makes more sense.