Connecting to a Multi volume DB through ODBC

tjessy

hi again,

I thought that rephrasing my question and creating another thread with
it could help.

So our basic problem is connecting to a multi volume database (approx.
10 files, around 2 Gb each) through Merant ODBC driver. Connecting to
a single volume DB works just fine. But if we pass the name of the multi-
volume database to the odbc driver it fails with "Internal error -20000".

We run our Progress 9.1D on linux and we try to connect from xp / vista.
Also tried to pass "database.db" as well as "database.d1", "database.d2"
etc... to odbc database name, without any success...

Any ideas warmly welcome! :)

Cheers,
Jess

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The multi-volumeness of a db is irrelevant. First of all all v9+ databases are multi-volume. Single-volume databases haven't existed since v8.

It looks to me like your problem is that you are specifying an extension. Instead of dbname.db or dbname.d1 you should just be using dbname. I've no idea what else you might be doing wrong but that one sticks out like a sore thumb.

tjessy

It looks to me like your problem is that you are specifying an extension. Instead of dbname.db or dbname.d1 you should just be using dbname. I've no idea what else you might be doing wrong but that one sticks out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for the advice Tom! In the mean time we have managed to connect with the OpenLink Driver by tuning it's parameters! :blush:

Anyhow we tried using just the dbname without any success... maybe the db size is too big for the Merant driver... I don't have any other idea... :(

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The drivers changed somewhere in the 9.1d sequence. It could just be that the Merant drivers don't work.

BTW -- you should upgrade. OpenEdhe 10.2 just came out. It might be a bit too "bleeding edge" but 10.1C would be a good option. Or, if you must stick to v9 for some unwholesome reason at least get to 9.1e04 -- it's 4 or 5 years old now but it is the supported release. 9.1d is really ancient and unsupported.