COM objects

parimala

OS-windows7 Version-OE10.2B

I would like to know where can I get the list of COM objects methods/events/properties.

I got the below msg from prokb:

How do I view the properties, methods, and events of COM objects?
PROGRESS provides a COM Object Viewer that displays the properties,
methods, and events of COM objects with sample 4GL syntax. There are
two ways to access this tool:
- Use the "PROGRESS COM Object Viewer" icon provided in PRO*Tools.

- Launch PROOBJVW.EXE from the Explorer.

But first option can b used if I had an existing *.tlb/*.olb.

I don't know how to approach second option.

I have seen some COM objects like:

a)Excel.Application
b)outlook.Application
c)InternerExplorer.Application

used in:

create "Excel.Application" chExcel.

chExcel-COm handle.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
For Excel there is no separate type library file. Just point the object viewer at excel.exe. For most other Office apps you will find a type library file in the installation directory.

mrobles

I use this include for excel

This is an example (change the face by double period)
{excel.i}.
DEF VAR i AS INT.
DEF VAR rango AS CHAR.
RUN abre_excel.
RUN pinta ('Excel.i Use',2,2).
t_ren = 5. /* t_ren is defined in excel.i */
DO i = 1 to 20.
t_ren = t_ren + 1.
RUN pinta(STRING(i), t_ren, 4).
rango = 'A' + STRING(t_ren) + ':B' + STRING(t_ren).
RUN colores(rango, i).
rango = 'D' + STRING(t_ren) + ':D' + STRING(t_ren).
IF I / 2 = INT(I / 2) THEN RUN negras(rango).
IF I / 3 = INT (I / 3) THEN RUN FONT_size_s(rango, i).
END.
RUN pinta('Fin',40,4).
RUN bordes('A2:D2').
RUN bordes('A3:D25').
RUN sin_lineas.
RUN acuesta.
RUN lineas_fijas('$1:$2').
RUN cierra_excel.

Attachments

• EXCEL.I
    21.1 KB · Views: 14

vdennis

Something that will also be helpfull. In trying to determine what to use, record a marco in the application and use that as a template on using com objects. A lot of times it has given me a clue as to what I needed to do in order to get the program to run. While not 100% correct, the macro does give you the information you need in the old trail and error method. -Dennis-

vdennis

For Excel there is no separate type library file. Just point the object viewer at excel.exe. For most other Office apps you will find a type library file in the installation directory.

This is did not know, very helpfull. (And where you with this info about 4 months ago? Hee Hee)
-Dennis-

vdennis

Yea, I always ask the wrong question. I am starting to us excel a lot, in having to search / replace data is cells. Being able to use the .exe for reference may be a big help for some of the other 'goodies' I am now being asked to do.

parimala

Could you please tell me how can I go for object viewer and point to excel.exe ( which I mentioned the same while starting the thread)

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Go to Start | Programs | COM Object Viewer. Or, from a GUI procedure editor, select Tools | PRO*Tools. In the window that launches, select Progress COM Object Viewer. Either way, it launches a program called proobjvw.exe in the Progress bin directory.

Select File | Open and then select File of Type: All Files.

Navigate to the directory where excel.exe is located, select it, and click Open.

parimala

Thank you Rob
Go to Start | Programs | COM Object Viewer. Or, from a GUI procedure editor, select Tools | PRO*Tools. In the window that launches, select Progress COM Object Viewer. Either way, it launches a program called proobjvw.exe in the Progress bin directory.

Select File | Open and then select File of Type: All Files.

Navigate to the directory where excel.exe is located, select it, and click Open.