Broker fails to find a server available for connecting

andre060508

Sometimes I get this message, if I try to connect the database. Can I reset? How must I set the count of Server and max. Clients per Server?
How much server or clients are necessary per odbc/jdbc connection?
Or are there any other parameters to set?

Error:

D:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin>sqlexp -char -db db -S 17004 -H 192.168.10.1 -user sysprogress -password pw
OpenEdge Release 10.1B03 as of Sat Nov 3 00:53:18 EDT 2007
Connecting user "sysprogress" to URL "jdbc:datadirect:eek:penedge://192.168.10.1:17004;databaseName=db"... (8920)
Error: [DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver]OE Broker fails to find a server available for connecting .. (8933)
See "D:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\sqlexp.log" and "D:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\SQLExplorer.exceptions" files for more information. (8950)
D:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin>

**** 23 ****

Exception at Wed Oct 21 09:22:17 CEST 2009: java.sql.SQLException
Message (throw): ### Connect stack trace. ###
Message (excp): [DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver]OE Broker fails to find a server available for connecting .
Stack Trace:
java.sql.SQLException: [DataDirect][OpenEdge JDBC Driver]OE Broker fails to find a server available for connecting .
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.createException(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.client.OpenEdgeClientLoginRequest.preOpenConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.client.OpenEdgeClientLoginRequest.preSubmitRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.OpenEdgeImplConnection.open(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.setupImplConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.open(Unknown Source)
at com.ddtek.jdbc.base.BaseDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at com.progress.sql.explorer.SQLConnectServer.call(SQLConnectServer.java:37)
at com.progress.common.rmiregistry.TryIt.run(TryIt.java:186)

andre060508

Yes, we have 4GL remote users too.

But I don't understand the formula.

In our settings we have:

standard:
max users 121
max servers 8

configuration:
4 GL and SQL
count server: 8
max clients per server 9

How should I encrease?

RealHeavyDude

As soon as you have 4GL and SQL users connecting to the same database you should have dedicated login brokers for them. Each of this 2 brokers may then provide the ressources needed (number of servers) for the respective users to connect.

In a nutshell: Just setting the max. number of servers and the max. and min. users per server is not sufficient if you have only one login broker.

The knowledge base article elaborates on that fact.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

Depending on the type of lincense you have for your database it might be necessary to purchase new ones.

AFAIK typically there are three possibilities for the licenses, somebody may correct me here:
  • Registered Client: The license count is the number of devices that connect to server - you need an additional license when you add a new device (pc) that connects to the server
  • Named User: The licese count is the number of persons that connect to the server - you need an additional license when you add a new person who connects the server
  • Concurrend user (V9 license model but there was an option for customers to migrate this model to OpenEdge): You need an additional license if the number of users or devices that connect to the server simultaneously.
This is the license model as far as I understand it. Best - or worst, depending on the point of view - you need to contact your Progress account manager -but he or she will always try to sell you new licenses ...

HTH, RealHeavyDude.