Binary dump and load ok for platform and version migration

pinne65

We are planing on migrating OE 10.1B03/AIX 5.3 to OE 11.X/(RHEL /CentOS 6.5).

I was under the impression that a text dump and load was required for this operation. But I seem to remember having seen here or elsewhere that's not the case. Does anyone know?

Also, if both are possible, which one would be the preferred method? I'm thinking a binary would be faster and produce less bloated output.

Cheers!

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
In general yes you can use binary dump and load for platform migration. Certainly it will be faster than ASCII D&L for tables of a meaningful size.

If I remember correctly there was a bug in the 10.1B timeframe where binary dump files were not compatible across architecture changes (32-bit -> 64-bit) but I think that was Linux-specific. I'll see if I can find a KB article about that. Unless you are affected by that bug, go binary. And be sure to use all the new idxbuild parameters available to you in 11.3, especially -TF and -datascanthreads.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Aside from bugs (I've never actually been bitten by such) binary is perfectly usable for such a purpose and will usually perform best.

Testing is, of course, always a very good idea. Regardless of the method you use.