Appserver Question

fatpoint

Very basic question here, I think....

We have an environment setup were an appserver on a Windows box connects to a database on an AIX server. In the event the AIX server is rebooted (rare) or the database is stopped and started (often enough) the appserver remains in an active state however it really is not connected to anything.

What can be done to make this appserver aware of the state of the database so that when a tech stops and starts the database the appserver just reconnects on it's own.

Any help would be great!

You have to log in to see the article. Here's the text:
Environment OpenEdge 10.x
Question/Problem Description AppServer does not reconnect to the database automatically
Databases have been shut down and restarted
AppServer running in state-free mode
Cause This is expected behavior. AppServer doesn't reconnect automatically to the database.
Resolution In Progress Explorer, go to :
--> the AppServer broker properties,
--> section Server,
--> Advanced Features, there it is possible to specify a 4GL procedure that might connect to the database or do some checks.

For state-free operating mode, the Procedures to use are 'Activate' and 'Deactivate'.

The last line is what you're after. I after done it either, but it's on my "to do" list.

fatpoint

Odd...I put my Progress creds in but still wouldn't let me login.
I found that article via the knowledge base as well. I wonder if anyone has used this, I don't know anything about it.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Stefan

Note that if you have lost your database connection and you are attempting to reconnect (where ever you are doing this) you will need to clean up any persistent procedures which have been loaded and reference a database. If you have no persistent procedures then this is obviously not an issue. :)