ADM2 Newbie

Greetings,

I am new to ADM 2 from ADM(1). I am struggling to find the ADM 2 of local-assign-record. Whilst using ADM 2, where do I put my validation code? What procedure do I use before the record is finally assigned to the DB? To validate the integrity?
Would this be in the SDO (Smart Data Viewer) or the SDO (Query).
TIA

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
by defining internal procedures in the dataobject
in a nutshell

client-side:

field-level:

[column]Validate

record-level:

RowObjectValidate

server-side:

transaction-level:

preTransactionValidate
beginTransactionValidate
endTransactionValidate
postTransactionValidate

they're all in the manual ( e-docs ) with lots of examples
adm and smartobjects \ application business logic \ validation procedures

Answer the ACTUAL question

Greetings,
In a nutshell answer the actual question asked!!! If you actually read the question I appreciated that an internal procedure were required, though the location of this were asked. Would this be in the Smart Data Viewer, or the Smart Data Query.
Thanks anyway.

John Nebi

mpowell, have you got a chip on your shoulder? He told you EXACTLY where to put them - in the SDO. I suspect had he known your attitude, he would have suggested somewhere else. :confused:

SDO is ambiguous. Smart Data Viewer is a SDO, Smart Query is a SDO so ......???....
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There may be other developers following this thread who do not know, this is to benefit the Progress world.
Thanks anyway.
[/FONT]

Chipless

John Nebi

No, SDO is NOT ambig. SDO stands for Smart Data Object, a type of Smart Object. A smart data viewer is not an SDO, it is another type of Smart Object, etc...

Fallen over

Your explanation is full of holes.

RE:
No, SDO is NOT ambig. SDO stands for Smart Data Object, a type of Smart
Object. A smart data viewer is not an SDO

>>>
SDO Smart Data Object a type of Smart
Object / YES

>>>
A smart data viewer is not an SDO.
Lets break that down Smart Data Viewer, sense dictates by definition it is. What is a viewer if it is not an object, a myth?? Smart Data is the big give away. Smart > in that it is PSC's method and has the include files. Data > In that it follows PSCs methods and requires database access and will display record data and as such needs a data Src.
Arguement OVER thank you very much.

SDO = Smart Data Object
Smart Data Viewer is an object so by definition it is a SDO.
It is an Object which utilises PSCs Smart methodologies, it CAN display data from a data src, so by definition full circle.

I've just stumbled on this thread and found it very amusing.

A smart data object (SDO) is an object that manages DATA.
A smart data viewer (SDV) is an object that manages VIEWING the data.

The whole point of n-tier design architecture is that the SDV never connects to the the database and therefore only manages the VIEWING of DATA.

I understand that an SDO and an SDV are both objects but that means the SDV should be called SDVO instead since SDV <> SDO!!!!!!