Acrobat Reader - pdf.ocx

P. Knoetze

Hi Peggers,

We are trying to incorporate the Acrobat Reader ocx control (pdf.ocx) into a Progress window, but have had no luck so far!! :confused:

Has anyone out there tried this before and succeeded? If so, please shed some light this way as to how you went about it!

Is there any alternatives? We are basically trying to view pdf documents and would prefer the controlling window to be a Progress window!

Progress Version 9.1C
Windows 9x, 2000

TIA
Philip

Hi,

We use webbrowser (IE) ActiveX and it works fine for pdf documents also.

( e.g. chCtrlFrame:WebBrowser:Navigate(test.pdf) )

Best regards,
Gabor

vadilloe

pdf

i have the same problem, i want to view a pdf file with progress, i've tried the ocx but it didnt work, then i tried the IE web browser, but i dont know how to make it work. can somebody help me?.
Also im having problems with the treeview, how do i add a node to the tree?

thanks in advance
VAD

Hi,

Here is an example program for PDF viewer (see attachment)

Best regards,
Gabor

Attachments

• adobe.w
    10.4 KB · Views: 455
  • adobe.wrx
    2.5 KB · Views: 310

vadilloe

problem with controlframe

Gabor Topor said:
Hi,

Best regards,
Gabor

thanks for the program, but when i tried to run it , i had i problem with the controlframe, do you know why??

TIA
VAd

vadilloe

when i run the program , the error is "unknow field or variable chCtrlFrame"

DO:
DEF VAR l-file AS CHAR.
DEF VAR l-ok AS LOG.
SYSTEM-DIALOG GET-FILE l-file
TITLE "Choose file to open"
FILTERS "Acrobat files (*.pdf)" "*.pdf",
"All Files (*.*)" "*.*"
MUST-EXIST
UPDATE l-ok.
IF l-ok THEN DO:
def var hPdf AS COM-HANDLE no-undo.

hPdf = chCtrlFrame:pdf. <----- here its the mistake according to the compiler
hPdf:LoadFile(l-file).
END.
END.

TIA
Vad

gcampbell

The problem is that the WRX file is for 10.1 not for 9.1D. So unless Gabor sends you a version you can read then you will have issues.

Or you can look at the code that is available via PDFinclude (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf-inc). Check out the browse2pdf.p procedure in the utilities directory. It calls something like ViewXMLdialog.w which has an V9 version of this same functionality.

Later,
Gordon

I downloaded the files and could run it without any error with V9.1D (PROGRESS Version 9.1D as of Wed May 8 17:24:00 EDT 2002). Please try to download them again. I'm using Adobe Reader 6.0 .

Best regards,
Gabor

vadilloe

i downloaded the files again an it is the same, when i try to load the .w file the error is:
Ctrlframe.pdf
unable to create control.
do i have to do something more??
TIA

Albert Salvia

P. Knoetze said:
Hi Peggers,

We are trying to incorporate the Acrobat Reader ocx control (pdf.ocx) into a Progress window, but have had no luck so far!! :confused:

Has anyone out there tried this before and succeeded? If so, please shed some light this way as to how you went about it!

Is there any alternatives? We are basically trying to view pdf documents and would prefer the controlling window to be a Progress window!

Progress Version 9.1C
Windows 9x, 2000

TIA
Philip
Hi Peggers,
Ocx pdf.ocx in versions 6 and 7 are named AcroPDF.dll.
In order to develop in this DLL Progress Version 10.0B04 is

In previous versions 10 and 9 prox.dll ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Progress Software\10") of Progress exists an error in this DLL.

jbox

DLL issues fixed

Albert Salvia said:
Hi Peggers,
Ocx pdf.ocx in versions 6 and 7 are named AcroPDF.dll.
In order to develop in this DLL Progress Version 10.0B04 is

In previous versions 10 and 9 prox.dll ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Progress Software\10") of Progress exists an error in this DLL.

Are you saying that are fixes in 10.0B04 for handling dll's?

Albert Salvia

AcroPDF.dll. Pdf viewer emdebed.

jbox said:
Are you saying that are fixes in 10.0B04 for handling dll's?

Yes.
But it is not a case documented in PSC. Speaking with the service of EMEA support, try differents test in versions 9 and 10 . With but detail in version 10. Applying to the patches from the version 10.0B to 10.0B05. Only worked correctly from 10.0B04.
The technical service of Progress, inform to us that have changes in the DLL prox.dll from the version 10.0b04.

alexbo

webbrowser & hide acrobat toolbars

Hi Gabor,
I will know how toolbar panels can be hidden:
using
chCtrlFrame:setShowToolbar(false)
produces no effects

and
chCtrlFrame:WebBrowser:setShowToolbar(false)
raises error #5890.

Gabor Topor said:
Hi,

We use webbrowser (IE) ActiveX and it works fine for pdf documents also.

( e.g. chCtrlFrame:WebBrowser:Navigate(test.pdf) )

Best regards,
Gabor

Albert Salvia

alexbo said:
Hi Gabor,
I will know how toolbar panels can be hidden:
using
chCtrlFrame:setShowToolbar(false)
produces no effects

and
chCtrlFrame:WebBrowser:setShowToolbar(false)
raises error #5890.
When we used ocx Webrowser IE we cannot accede to the pdf reader, this in one plug-in navigator.
We only can hide the toolbars with ocx or DLL AcroPDF.dll using chCtrlFrame:AcroPDF:setShowToolbar(FALSE).

ianrawlins

Hi,

Best regards,
Gabor

Thanks for this example it looks good. I am having a problem with this. My problem looks the same as others on here.

Basically the "hPdf = chCtrlFrame:pdf" command is not returning a valid handle which causes the "hPdf:LoadFile(lv-file)" command to fail.

I have upgraded my version of progress to 10.0B05 as it seems like some people have suggested. But this has made no difference.

Does anyone have any more ideas?