8.2 -> 8.3 assistance

kailou

(v8.2c -> v8.3a on Tru64 5.1)

I'm in the process of doing a minor upgrade from v8.2c to v8.3a and could use some assistance. I've run into the same issue that has been so thoroughly discussed and documented - I can't truncate the bi file from the old version.

Truncating the bi on the old version prior to making a backup is impractical for me. Our db must remain online 24/7/365 and all our backups are online. Doing a single-user backup as a one-time thing is not a big deal, but I would need to do it daily while we migrate so its not really a solution.

-After restoring the 8.2 db under 8.3, using the 8.2 proutil to truncate prior to starting the servers is completely ineffective (version number mismatch).

-82dbutils directory of utilities does not exist. I strongly suspect that this set of utilities did not come into existence until v8.3b, I have 8.3a (sigh).

So...
1) Anyone have any other suggestions for making this little migration work?
2) Anyone out there with 82dbutils for Tru64 willing to send me that dir? (are those utilities even compatible with 8.3a?)

Thanks!
Kailou

kailou

Well, solved my own problem, but ran into another. My server attempts to start now, but it drops out after about a minute with err #1680. Looks like I've hit another bug - starting biw,apw or aiw on Tru64 5.1. Seems Progress and Tru64 5.1 do not play nice together until Progress v8.3d06. :brick: