[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Documentation complaint: Getting started is HARD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OctavioOlguin

When I started reading this thread,after 6 or 7 rows away, I tought (is this guy reading my mind?) That's exactly how I felt 24 months ago, when starting aproaching Appserver. Now I use it profusely from 12 months on... So it took me 12 months, to keep the internall flow of client/server development with the figuring out of appserver (meaning it was more important to keep up, than modernising). I'm here with me and my self. I'd kill for having Dr. Mercer-Hush somewhere near here to ask "simple, stupid questions", that we all face when starting something. (I remember back 1996 when all began for me, I spent 1 day searching answer to the simply statement "indicate port number" when starting database, after that, a call to Sales rep. proposed "2500", no justification ... nothing more...) Today my database runs on port 2500, 20 years later, and third company I converted to progress. I also passed by Autoedge docs, just to crash at same wall of "components not installed". I think one "must for recruiting new souls", would be simply, straigth forward recipes. a list step by step of simple actions, and each step has a counter part to some extened doc for each kind of project, approach, ade. it came to my mind that I found business entities by a casual commentary in phone call to representative of progress here in Mexico I called in desperation as I wasn't able to understand some basic principles... - why don't you use the business entity wizard? - wait, what? .Yes, it's under File, New, ... way below, there... business entity wizard.... (remember that 11.2 or 11.3 had the wizard at the end of menu? (or is dinamically arranged by use frecuency?). Any way the feelling you talk about, is the same felling every of us new to some tools on this wonderfull world of progress, got.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.