Why RowIDs are Negative??

rajat.mittal

Hi to all the members of this community!

Can anybody help me out in the case that "Why the RowIDs in Work-Tables are Negative??"

Thanks in Advance,
Rajat Mittal.

rlambert

Hi

I assume that because work tables are local to a user so that rowids do not clash with a db rowid the simplist way was to make the -ve

Well thats what i think

rajat.mittal

Hi rlambert!
I thank you for replying to this query of mine.
But, as you have said here that the RowIDs are negative so that they should not clash with those of DB RowIDs. But, here arises a question!

Why is it not the case with Temp-Tables?? They are also stored at client side. But, their RowIDs are positive.

Thanks in advance,
Rajat Mittal.

rlambert

I was thinking that while i was writing the previous answer. maybe they just realised that it was un-necessary when they intoduced temp-tables? who knows.

jongpau

Like you I am just guessing here (I think only the gurus at psc will know the real answer to this question)....

Maybe it is because of a possible clash between temp-tables andwork-tables (both stored on client side)? If memory serves me right,the work-table (at least the keyword) was introduced at the same timeas the temp-table; before that it was called a workfile. Also, unliketemp-tables, work-tables do not allow you to define an index, so that*may* have something to do with it as well?