URGENT!!!! Need some help with PROGRESS error!!!

thematrixhasyou

Sorry for the alert post, but I have been working at this for 2 days now and I am SOOOOOOOOO close to tossing our database server out of the window.

I got the Merant 3.6 drivers configured. I can use an ADO string from a VB6 environment to return LIVE, REAL-TIME DATA!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!!! However......

If I use the SAME connection string in an ASP application, I receive the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver]Optional feature not implemented.

The only thing I found on this forum that sounded similar can be found on this thread:

http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68885

If anyone can offer help, it would be GREATLY appreciated. This has been completely frustrating and I am VERY, VERY close to a solution, it is the last piece of the puzzle that is killing me.

Thanks a million in advance.

jongpau

According to the Progress knowledge base your problem *might* be as follows:
Symptom(s):
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[DataDirect-Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver]Optional feature not implemented.
No SQL servers are available. Try again later. (8839)
ASP (Active Server Pages) script contains multiple connections to the Progress database.

Cause(s):
Database connections are released only after the ASP script has finished executing. Even when each connection is explicitly closed it seems that individual connections are not released. This can result in (Microsoft) error 0x80004005 and Progress error 8839.

Fix:
Calculate the required number of connections (for both 4GL and SQL-92 clients) and start separate brokers for 4GL and SQL-92 clients.

Hope this helps...

thematrixhasyou

Here is the solution:

Environment variables have to be set to system variables for all these:

DLC=<path to dlc>
IDLC=<path to dlc>
PROMSGS=<path to dlc>\promsgs
IPROMSGS=<path to dlc>\promsgs
PROOIBRK=<path to dlc>\bin\oibrkr32.exe
PROOIDRV=<path to dlc>\bin\oidrvr32.exe

I had all except the last two.

Windstone

I am receiving a similar error. I am connecting to Progress through VB6. Here is my code:
oConn.Properties("Prompt") = adPromptNever
oConn.Open "Driver={MERANT 3.60 32-BIT Progress SQL92 v9.1D};" & _
"Host=wsmi-vtg;" & _
"Port=5250;" & _
"DB=Sundance;" & _
"IsolationLevel=adXactReadUncommitted;" & _
"CommandTimeout=60;" & _
"ConnectionTimeout=60;" & _
The error I receive is: Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':
[DataDirect-Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Failure getting record lock on a record from table PUB.VendPart.

Recordset.Open SQL, oConn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText 'open the recordset using the SQL above
Any ideas would be great. Thanks

thematrixhasyou

Yeah, unfortunately for the few of us unlucky enough to have to code against a PROGRESS database, it is an old honking piece of dung. Writing against Oracle & SQL Server is a dream compared to PROGRESS (I won't even get into the lovely intricacies of database management here, it's useless). What legacy stuff we have running on PROGRESS we are upgrading to SQL Server ASAP.

Run and run quickly :)

bendaluz2

Personally I find writing code against oracle or sql server awful. SQL is soooo clunky and awkward to use compared to a proper 4GL

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
clueless

The Matrixhasyou,

Your so funny, first your asking for help. Then you get a proper answer after that you write your own solution, stating that you use Progress oid, which you did'nt tell before. :) After that you start again with your aversion againnst Progress. So funny to here someone saying this stuff who obviously hasn't got a clue about what he's doing :). If your wise then you start using the solution jongpau gave you instead of using Progress o.i.b. But he, your the wise man, isn't it. Nice attitude, "He, it works so this the best solution!". Like i said, very funny.

Regards,

Casper.