Unable to find and edit the source code of GUI application

Mady

New Member
Hi All,

I have worked for couple of years in Progress 4 GL Support project and I am now moved to development. I have been assigned with an assignment, about adding one more option in the selection list and getting the respective result set on GUI application. As I have to learn, work, and deliver at the same time, so its my sincere request to provide your guidance in the issues I am facing.

1. We have a warehouse management GUI application. I need to add option "Product Type" in the highlighted drop down.
1642872127199.png

2. I am connected to a remote system. I got the .W file name from the Help menu option in above window. I was able to find .W file in the E: drive of that remote system.
3. I did drag and drop for that .W file in application builder. After updating the code, when I compile the .W file - it gives me an error, saying one ".i" file not found. I have checked the path and that ".i" file do exist there. I am not able to figure out the problem here.

Can you please help me in verifying if I am modifying the correct path file and how do we find the path of .R file, which application is hitting ??

Thanks,
Good Day !!!
 

Attachments

  • 1642872205200.png
    1642872205200.png
    5 KB · Views: 14

Osborne

Active Member
Is the full path of the ".i" in the ".w" file or is it just the name of the ".i" file?

If the latter then the common reason for the error is that the path where the ".i" file resides is not in the PROPATH:-


To check the directories in your PROPATH run something similar to this:
Code:
DEFINE VARIABLE i AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.

REPEAT i = 1 TO NUM-ENTRIES(PROPATH):
   DISP ENTRY(i,PROPATH) FORMAT "X(60)".
END.

To find the path of the .R file the application is hitting, something similar to this will give that information:
Code:
FILE-INFO:FILE-NAME = "prog1.r".
MESSAGE FILE-INFO:FULL-PATHNAME VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.
 

Mady

New Member
There is just the name of the .I file. I get below, "?", in the window when I run the command, in procedure editor, to find the path of .R. Please suggest.
1643047466494.png

Just to try - I copied all the files to a separate folder "D:\mdtest" and added the same to the propath, shown below.
1643047479221.png

But now, I am getting below error when trying to run the file from AppBuilder (Compile --> Run). Please suggest.
1643047502744.png
 

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I have been assigned with an assignment
In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the person providing this development assignment to ensure you have the resources you need to complete the task, including the location of the correct version of all of the application's source code and any other required assets. It sounds like that hasn't happened.

I was able to find .W file in the E: drive of that remote system.
Clearly there is no source code management system in place. How do you know you have the correct version of that .w file, or of any other assets?

But now, I am getting below error when trying to run the file from AppBuilder (Compile --> Run).
This error suggests that while your propath now contains an include file with the required name, it is the wrong version of the include; one that does not include a definition of the required shared variable. And if you do manage to find a different version of that include that does include "company" and your code compiles, that won't necessarily mean that you have the version of the correct code.

If it were me, I'd go to whoever assigned the work to me and ask for help. Ask them (or someone they designate) to show you where the correct code is, what the compile propath should be, what the build, test, and deployment processes are, etc. Someone should know these things. If not then there are much larger issues here than your compile error.
 

Osborne

Active Member
Rob has outlined things perfectly and you should have been provided with a lot more information.
But now, I am getting below error when trying to run the file from AppBuilder (Compile --> Run). Please suggest
This error usually always means the program has a shared variable defined in it something similar to:
Code:
DEFINE SHARED VARIABLE company AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
So this suggests the program is not run directly/is the first program in the stack, so is normally run from a calling program which creates the shared variable:
Code:
DEFINE NEW SHARED VARIABLE company AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.

RUN ordpick.r.

When you run from the AppBuilder it runs the program direct resulting in the shared variable not being created.

So as Rob says, you need to know the deployment processes as you look to be missing the calling program.
 

Mady

New Member
Osborne and Rob,
Thank you so much for giving valuable inputs. As per your suggestion, I went back to the team and asked about the environment settings. I am able to compile and run the code.
 
Top