Success with ODBC and Pprogress 9

mkob

Hello,

I am looking for some folks out there that have had success implementing Progress 9 with ODBC drivers connecting to Microsoft SQL. My company is looking to expand the use of our Progress software, and I am in the early stages of research.

I am trying to find out quickly, if and ODBC solution with Progress will truly work. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day,

ronstoney

Yes, it is possible. Use the included Merant Datadirect drivers that come with the Progress client. I believe you need 4.0 for version 9 of Progress.

Add the service ports to your services file.
Goto odbc admin in windows and add a new odbc conn using the datadirect sql92 driver.

I've successfully done this with progress 8...

-rs

mdemon

Copy of message I posted in the wrong bit!

I hope I'm in the right bit.... Forgive the Newbie!:) I posted this elsewhere...

We have a Progress back end for an ERP package called Proteus. We are trying to extract the data into SQL before we ditch Proteus in a short while.

Unfortunately, trying to get at the data via MS SQL Server or Crystal Reports comes back with the following; "Query Engine Error HY000. DataDirect Technologies ODBC Progress driver - Lock Table is full (7870)"

1) Is this a flaky ODBC driver? If so, which tool would I use in Progress to view and fix the data?

2) Where can I find the lookup for this particular error code?

Any thoughts? Starting to get a bit desparate here!

Cheers,

John

dcheatham

Your lock table entries is set too low for the ODBC connection. You need to adjust the parameter for the Progress database for the connections. You may also need to adjust the number of server that can attach odbc. Other issues to verify;
1. Login Authentication
2. appbroker setting for both sql and 4gl or seperate configuration
3. TCP Ports mapped in services file

mnewnham

"We have a Progress back end for an ERP package called Proteus. We are trying to extract the data into SQL before we ditch Proteus in a short while."

If you want to build an image of your progress database in SQL server, have a look at my PRO2XMLSCHEMA data conversion programs at http://www.newnhams.com

kidehen

ODBC and Pprogress 9

When testing the viability of ODBC Client such as Crystal Reports, Cognos Impromptu, Microsoft ACCESS, and SQL Server's Linked Server and DTS (Data Transformation Services) you will need to look beyond the DataDirect Drivers that are bundled by Progress Software.

The easy route to success is to leverage the fact the ODBC enables you to evaluate ODBC Drivers side by side based using your own success/failure metrics.

OpenLink Software is a time-tested alternative source of ODBC Drivers for Progress (SQL-89 or SQL-92 based). These drivers work as expected with the ODBC compliant applications and environments listed above.

Here is a link to all the relevant information on these Drivers:

Single-Tier Format (requires Progress Client Networking):
http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-progress-st/

Multi-Tier Format (doesn't require Progress Client Networking):
http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/mt/odbc-progress-mt/

Also note that OpenLink also provides OLE DB and ADO.NET Providers for PROGRESS. These drivers come in handy when SQL Server's Linked Server or DTS services are the connecting clients as they prefer OLE DB over ODBC.