SQL Explorer won't start

sgeunes

I have installed client networking on NT4.0 workstation many times and SQL Explorer works fine. I recently installed it on an NT4.0 Server machine and it won't start. i get the following error: 'error parsing file to execute: (wjview)'. Now, on all machines where SQL Explorer works, the file wjview.exe exists directly under the WINNT directory. it doesn't exist under the WINNT directory of the NT Server machine, where SQL Explorer does not work. at first, i thought it was a service pack (patch) issue...since the NT server machine is S.P.5 and all the workstations are S.P.6. i found this to be bad info though, b/c i found an NT workstation machine on my network with S.P.3 and it has the file 'wjview.exe' in it's WINNT directory. so, my only guess now is that the file doesn't exist on NT Server, and thus SQL Explorer will not run under NT Server. btw, i did try just copying the file to the NT Server's WINNT directory, and this results in other similar errors. Does anyone out there have any info/thoughts on this?

sgeunes

Chris,
Thanks a lot for the reply. what i did was install the SDK for NT 4.0. althought this installed the wjview.exe file i was looking for, it installed it to a special SDK directory under program files. that's where the install wanted to put it, and i didn't want to tinker with the winnt directory on and NT server box. at any rate, it still didn't like this b/c it was looking for that (and other files) in the winnt directory. i then installed 9.1B and part of this installation is installing the java VM, which you had recommended. this put the proper files in the winnt directory and it worked like a charm! thanks a lot.
Shane.