Progress Process does not close !!!!

abk

Hi

I'm working in Progress 8.3b on Windows NT 4.0. I encounter a uniquer problem. Even after i close my Progress application when i see the Task manager Under 'Process' folder 'prowin32.exe' process still continues to run. So when i try to shut my workstation a message 'Windows exiting' pops up with 'ok' and 'cancel' button. Once if say ok the process ends.
To avoid this message poping up i manually 'End Process' by going to Task manager. Is it a problem with Pro 8.3b ????

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,

It sounds like you have a WAIT-FOR statement that isn't being terminated. If the WAIT-FOR conditions aren't met, it can just hang out there, even after the user interface (the window) is closed. So even though it appears the Progress session was ended properly, it in reality is still running waiting for a condition that will never be satisfied.

HTH.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

abk

Hi Chris,

I never have any wait-for statement in my procedure. What i did was to click an icon which is for prowin32.exe. After doing some query on the database using 'SQL' statments i close the application. Just a straight forward operation. So there is no reason for the progress process to remain. isn't not ?. That is not happenning ????? Still the prowin32.exe process is present when i see thro' the task manager !!!.

abk

Hi chris,

Forgot to mention few things. This happens only if i connect our application database. Actually i'm using pro8.3b as front-end to connect to a DB2 database thro Progress data server.
We are connecting through paraMETER FILES.
Moreover the .ini file used for application is different to cater the needs of Japanese language M/c. The DB2 database is in a server and so all the server,network parameter are given.
I find this unique pbm only while connecting our database. But i don't find it when i connect sports db interactively.

should i look for some other factor which is the cause for triggering this pbm ?