MS SQL Server

TomNorton

I have been asked to research what would be involved (progress version, third party software, etc) in converting our "pure" progress 8.3 system to run using MS SQL Server entirely for the database.

Can anyone help? Any experiences to share?. Any comments? Any Advice?

Thanks.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tom-

Is there a specific reason why you are looking at running the database on a MS SQL database? I would recommend staying with a Progress database as it is much easier to maintain and has a lower cost of ownership then MS. (see http://www.progress.com/services/pressrm/aberdeen2.htm for more details).

If you do decide to do this, there is a DataServer available that will let you run a Progress application on MS SQL. I have never done this myself, but you can do this with an ODBC DataServer. See http://www.progress.com/core/progress/v9/v9-dsheet_dataserv.htm for some more information.

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

[This message has been edited by progresstalk (edited 27 January 2000).]

TomNorton

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments.

The main reason for moving to MS SQL Server is, very simply, because the customer wants to.

They will not accept the arguments of performance nor cost of ownership (I have even had Progress sales force involved!). Thus, I am stuck with having to implement the MS SQL solution.

Anyway, thanks for the links ... I shall follow up on the ODBC server route.

Regards,

Tom.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
I sometimes don't understand why customers can be so determined to choose a platform which isn't really the best solution. I guess all the marketing money MS has verus the "Progress Who?" is sometimes a factor.

But I do understand the need to deliver what the customer wants, even if it isn't alway the best thing for them.

Good luck.

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

anvegger

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomNorton:
I have been asked to research what would be involved (progress version, third party software, etc) in converting our "pure" progress 8.3 system to run using MS SQL Server entirely for the database.

Can anyone help? Any experiences to share?. Any comments? Any Advice?

Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom,
There are two products from Progress Software your client may consider: Progress ODBC DataServer Enterprise, which requires Progress 4GL plus Progress Client Networking; and Progress Personal ODBC DS. Which is an enhanced version of Progress Client Executable. With personal DS you don't need a Client Networking at all. To get the full advantages of the performance and features I would recommend to upgrade your Progress to 9.0b at least. Better to go with 9.1a as soon as it's released. Your questions are always welcome.
Andrey Vegger,
Diligent Systems, Inc.
anvegger@diligentsys.com

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Andrey & Tom-
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anvegger:
To get the full advantages of the performance and features I would recommend to upgrade your Progress to 9.0b at least. Better to go with 9.1a as soon as it's released. Your questions are always welcome.
Andrey Vegger,
Diligent Systems, Inc.
anvegger@diligentsys.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a very good point, as 9.1 will fully support SQL-92, which will allow much better and more reliable ODBC connections. The release date should be 10-March-2000 if all goes well, and this will be the first FCS (first customer shipment) for the new SQL engine.

HTH.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

[This message has been edited by progresstalk (edited 02 February 2000).]