Is this site alive anymore?

NickRuffo

Is progress still alive and kicking? Should I even bother migrating to Sx.E?

*****Watch's tumble weed blow through thread******

jongpau

Yes, Progress is still alive. Not sure about your application though -- have to ask others about that :awink:

jongpau

Maybe I am the wrong person to ask this... but anyway;

I think Progress is a stable and fast database that is easy to use and maintain. I love the 4GL and how easy it is to write programs with it that (especially all the neat dynamic stuff that has come with version 9 --> not to be confused with "dynamics" which I think is horrible) - if created properly - Progress applications are fast, flexible (easily customised) and very easy to maintain.

I have played around with SQL Server somewhat and found that far more instable and slower than Progress (but maybe that was just me doing things wrong??). Writing programs in/with MS stuff in my experience takes much much longer than with the 4GL and these programs/applications are generally a lot harder to maintain due to the amount of code you have to write to get something done.

DB2 I have no experience with so I cannot judge that.

Oracle... well, a couple of years ago when I was working with customers that "had to have" Oracle because it was a name they knew and "everybody used it" I was lucky to find that every customer that started with Oracle ended up moving to Progress and were very happy chappies after that. DB maintenance in Oracle was a nightmare back then and Progress applications and DB simply outperformed Oracle.

SQL in itself well... I don't mind it, but it is not my preference. I do use mySQL and php for stand alone web projects, simply because it is cheap as chips and widely available on just about every web server around the world (no need to install anything but your web app and away you go). If I had to ditch Progress for whatever reason I would seriously consider mySQL myself because it is very fast and does not require you to pay through the nose for licenses + there are armies of people available that can write applications. It does have drawbacks against the likes of SQL Server and Oracle, but I am sure the guys that create it will fix that up over time.

Anyway, this is a difficult discussion; there are pros and cons to everything. I am sure some people would bring up license cost of Progress as a drawback or the availability of people with Progress skills or the fact that it is very hard to hook Progress up against other software/platforms.