Irish Employment

WangChung2Nite

How does the Progress job market look in Ireland? I have searched online at Irish employment sites, but usually only find recruiters. Does anyone know of a good Irish job search, or how I could get in direct contact with employers. If at all possible I would like to develop a sense of rapport with a prospective employer.

Thanks in advance,
WangChung2Nite

daves_mot

Hi,
the Progress job market in Ireland is very small, there are approx 15 - 30 progress companies in Ireland I think, ranging in sizes. But positions are advertised every now and again.

I might get in touch with Iain Patrick, the Progress representitive for Ireland if I was in your position. He has spent a lot of time trying to build the progress community in Ireland and would possibly be able to provide you with a list of company names using Progress that you could drop a cv to? But I don't know if he would give out that information or if he is allowed to? If you are interested, I could dig his email address out.

I know that Precision software are based in Dublin, they are large enough with sites in Europe and the states. Also LabSys is another.

The main jobs websites in Ireland are monster.ie, jobs.ie but as I said the community here is small so Progress jobs might not appear very frequently.

Your post is from ages ago, so you might be elsewhere or already have a job by now. Either way, best of luck!
Fiona.

WangChung2Nite

Appreciate the reply

Hello Fiona,

Thank you for responding. I am still interested in the Irish job market, but making contacts from such a great distance (Wisconsin, US) can be difficult. I would greatly appreciate any information that would ease the job hunting process. You mentioned Iain Patrick. Could I get his contact information?

Kind Regards

daves_mot

Hi,
I sent Iain Patricks email to you, if you don't get it just let me know. Like I said, he may or may not be able to help you out.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment to suggest but if I hear of anything I will drop you a line.

This is the Irish government information website and this page lists articles of interest if you are considering moving to Ireland from another country. You would fall into the category of a non EU/EEA national I think, if you are a US citizen.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/?PHPSESSID=f956a9761108558fac873bdb5bd64d76

It covers moving here, working here, schools, working rights etc. I think you may need a job offer first so that your employer can apply for a work permit for you, but have a read yourself and see what you think. Either way, if you are not an EU citizen then you will have to apply for work permits, residency etc?

I went to Monster.ie and typed in search parameters of Computer Hardware / Computer Software / Information Technology, anywhere in Ireland, any job type and the following came back:

http://jobsearch.monster.ie/getjob.asp?JobID=30091583&AVSDM=2005%2D05%2D13+08%3A29%3A26&Logo=1&brd=1&cy=IE&fn=543&fn=6&fn=660&jt=2&jt=1&jt=4&jt=3&q=Progress&sort=rv&vw=d

http://jobsearch.monster.ie/getjob.asp?JobID=31124967&AVSDM=2005%2D06%2D16+10%3A14%3A21&Logo=1&brd=1&cy=IE&fn=543&fn=6&fn=660&jt=2&jt=1&jt=4&jt=3&q=Progress&sort=rv&vw=d

http://jobsearch.monster.ie/getjob.asp?JobID=31041685&AVSDM=2005%2D06%2D14+03%3A21%3A23&Logo=1&brd=1&cy=IE&fn=543&fn=6&fn=660&jt=2&jt=1&jt=4&jt=3&q=Progress&sort=rv&vw=d

http://jobsearch.monster.ie/getjob.asp?JobID=30207662&AVSDM=2005%2D05%2D27+10%3A20%3A16&Logo=1&brd=1&cy=IE&fn=543&fn=6&fn=660&jt=2&jt=1&jt=4&jt=3&q=Progress&sort=rv&vw=d

One other thing, recruitment agencies advertise a lot of jobs here in Ireland but they do not (or should not to the best of my knowledge) charge you as an applicant, as the company is paying them a fee to find applicants. But all that info is on the government website - I think you should have a good read of that before anything else. The other thing to consider is that although Ireland's economy is doing well at the moment, the cost of living is very expensive (food, clothes, transport) and the cost of housing (renting or buying) is also very high. Most Progress jobs would be based in the capital Dublin, where prices are the highest. Possibly you know people living here so they would be able to chat to you about that.
If not, I would be happy to try and answer any questions for you.

Best of luck
Fiona.

You may get some results using the UK sites, like Jobserve and Jobsite. As a geographically (and culturally) close English speaking nation, Irish openings are often displayed there.

These sites will mostly return recruiters also though.

Lee

Ach

and how does the Progress market look in US ??

hehe...the Senior Progress Programmers get paid exactly half of what programmers get paid in other systems (SAP, Peoplesoft etc). Not to mention that these 'senior' guys are very happy with getting paid half (around 100k) :lol: