How to activate Eclipse Intellisense (type-ahead)?

regulatre

I'm just starting out with the Enterprise Architect using Eclipse. I'm wondering how to activate the feature where the editor will type-ahead certain things. For instance list the fields of a table as you type the table name followed by a dot.

I think Microsoft calls it intellisense, not sure what the correct terminology is in Eclipse.

As I am typing 4gl code in Eclipse it colors the keywords and capitalizes them, but i'm just not getting the intellisense yet.

Thanks

robsp

I haven't seen an automatic intellisense.

But with STRG-SPACE you should get a layer with all keywords beginning with the characters you typed in. So it's a manual intellisense.

And I like it this way. ;-)

Kind regards
Robert Prediger

regulatre

Eclipse Rocks!

Good enough for me. Hitting CONTROL+Space does show available keywords. As for getting the database field names, the problem I had was that I wasn't connected to the DB through tools-data dictionary. Once I connected to the DB, it showed up on the DB tab at the bottom, and I could then drag and drop fields into my code.

Maybe in the next version they'll add a feature to detect in the code when I start typing a table name, then show a list of field suggestions.

robsp said:
I haven't seen an automatic intellisense.

But with STRG-SPACE you should get a layer with all keywords beginning with the characters you typed in. So it's a manual intellisense.

And I like it this way. ;-)

Kind regards
Robert Prediger

robsp

But field-suggestion is working!
And I like it.

For this you have to have a connection not in tools, but in "Windows / Preferences" of Eclipse.

regulatre

In what section? I set up various connection profiles already but it's not keying off of those. I also tried specifying project startup parameters such as -db DatabaseName, etc. but that didn't do the trick either.

Where in preferences did you specify the DB connection information?

robsp said:
But field-suggestion is working!
And I like it.

For this you have to have a connection not in tools, but in "Windows / Preferences" of Eclipse.

robsp

There are two places for the database connection, I have seen:
- "Window / Preferences / OpenEdge / DB Navigator / Connection Profiles"
- "Project / Properties / Connections"

In "Window / Preferences / OpenEdge / Editor / Assistance" it's important to have "Show help on schema hover" (as i know).

That's what I've seen in my environment to get the schema help.

Hope this helps
Robert

eggie

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm not getting any 'auto-sensing' when typing a 'table name' for table list or 'table.' for field list. I'm connected to a database using the different connection settings but still not getting it. Does anyone know where the problem might be?

eggie

Got it working now. I missed the connection from the Openedge editor perspective. I realized it when i noticed my database view is empty. I supplied the connection settings in Project->Properties->Openedge->Connections and it worked.

regulatre

Glad ya got it working.

Nice. Thanks for posting the follow-up. I haven't had much time to work in Architect lately. I did try out the CVS features and so far I really like it. The factor prohibiting me/us from moving forward with Architect is that it doesn't appear to have an infrastructure for GUI development.

eggie said:
Got it working now. I missed the connection from the Openedge editor perspective. I realized it when i noticed my database view is empty. I supplied the connection settings in Project->Properties->Openedge->Connections and it worked.

regulatre

I just ran into something interesting... I couldn't make my DB connection as long as the port specified was a name like "Myport123". We utilize the the services file, since we have various DBs running, and remembering a name is much easier than remembering a port number.
I'm going to try downloading architect updates and see if the problem goes away.

regulatre said:
Nice. Thanks for posting the follow-up. I haven't had much time to work in Architect lately. I did try out the CVS features and so far I really like it. The factor prohibiting me/us from moving forward with Architect is that it doesn't appear to have an infrastructure for GUI
development.