Error no. 16

Wilbert

Hi everybody,

I'm using Version 9.0A and at a certain point I keep getting error message no. 16 everytime.
In a subroutine of a processing procedure I do the following:

FIND bf1-Competition WHERE ... EXCLUSIVE.
FIND bf2-Competition WHERE ... EXCLUSIVE.
ASSIGN bf1-Competition.Field1 = ..(value)..
FIND bf1-CompChild WHERE ... EXCLUSIVE.
/* CompChild is Child Table of Competition */
IF NOT AVAIL bf1-CompChild
THEN DO:
CREATE CompChild.
ASSIGN CompChild.Fields = ..(values)..
END.
ELSE ASSIGN CompChild.Field1 = ..(value)..

ASSIGN bf2-Competition.Field1 = ..(value)..
/* So far so good...*/

FIND bf2-CompChild WHERE ... EXCLUSIVE.

/* I checked with the debugger and at this point always error message 16 shows up:
SYSTEM ERROR: bffld: nxtfld: scan past last field. (16)

An internal data error occurred while PROGRESS attempted to retrieve a field from either
a record or workfile. This may be indicative of further database damage due to hardware
failure.
Should this error reoccur:
1. Try to delete the offending record, then add it again.
2. Increase the -s (Stack) parameter.
3. Dump/delete/load the file from the PROGRESS Data Dictionary.

---> I tried all three of these suggestions but none seem to help. What am I doing wrong?
What is going on?

------------------
PS: It runs under Win98 and every time this error occurs I also get the Windows message "this program has performed an illegal operation..."

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Arial, Verdana">[This message has been edited by Wilbert on 08 March 2000 @ ]</font>

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there-

I tried your code sample under 9.0A on my machine and could not duplicate the problem. If you haven't been able to get this working I would try PSC tech support to see if they can help with this.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

figyo

Sometimes I get error 16 too, but I never can figure out what happened. I cannot add any new records to offending table. The only solution for me is to dump/delete/load entire table, which sometimes takes pretty much time. I'm really interested why that mysterious error happens.

P.S.: PROGRESS 8.2C + Windows2000

madpaulo

> P.S.: PROGRESS 8.2C + Windows2000

Figyo, I think you just answered your own question. AFAIK, 8.2C is not officially supported on Win2K. I think you have to upgrade to 8.3B (or 9.1). There was just a discussion about this on the PEG , so check the main archive and the DBA archive to find the thread.

------------------
Paul T. O'Leary
Information Services
City of Madison, WI USA

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick follow up to this... the only Progress release that are supported on Windows 2000 are the newly release 9.1A and the 8.3C release (just release last Friday).

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com