Deploying Crystal Reports 11 Runtime Client

Hi,

We're using OE 10.1A and Crystal 11 and are trying to figure out how to deploy the runtime client. Has anyone had success doing this?

The following Knowledge Base entries haven't worked:
< KB P104651 > is not working.
< KB P105313 > The PSDN .msi files only go up through Crystal 10.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

vdennis

It can be done, but not easy. CR10-11 require you to create a 'setup' file, using a program like InstallShield. I think three files or conponants are required. If you want I will send you a PP file that I did for the VAPug last October which shows using InstallSheld how to get these files. If you are only using this for your own inhouse operation I can send you the file I created. It only installs the runtime features.

BTW, BusinessObjects will be dropping the RDC sometime in the next few releases, in favor something like.NET. Thought you'd like to know.

Email me at Dennis_Voeg@BayCountryLawns.com if you want me to send anything directly. The slideshow was available on teh VAPUG website.

-Dennis-

Dennis, thanks for all the pointers and help.

Since there seems to be very little info on this out there, or people just aren't doing it yet, or I'm the only one who is (was) clueless about Merge Modules and Crystal 11, here's how we finally got the Crystal 11 Runtime client to install.

We looked at numerous FREE programs out there that claim to deal with merge files, that is make an MSI file out of an MSM file. The Crystal documentation talks about VB and Orca which I have no experience with, so I searched the web.

After trying many of the programs out there, we ended up deciding between InstallShield (because Dennis got it to work) and Advanced Installer 3.9. We ended up going with the latter because of its ease of use and it's about half the price of InstallShield.

Here's how we got Advanced Installer to work:

Download the free trial version. The Basic installer is FREE, the Professional, which you need is good for 30 days.

Choose the "Professional" Project Type, fill in the "Product Details", then add the Merge files for Crystal. According to Crystal's documentation, you need the License, ReportEngine and Runtime merge files.

For the License merge file, after you add it to your project, right-click it and choose "Configure" and add your Crystal Control number from your Progress license.

You can also remove pieces from the ReportEngine merge file in the same way.

Also, not positive you need to do this, but for each of the Merge Modules in the "Config", I changed the "Gerneral, Folder" from "APPDIR" to "CommonFilesFolder" which is where the Crystal ActiveX objects are installed.

One more note: I had to use the "original" merge modules found in < "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules" >. The ones I downloaded from the Business Objects website installed into a sudir with "3.5" rather than "3.0" which is where my Crystal installation lives.

Then "Build" the MSI file. We installed it on our test PC and it worked.

We just purchased the software.

Hope this helps.