Database size almost 500 mb ..

amadajul

Hi Guys ..

I had some concern regarding our company's database size that is now reaching 500 MB.

I would like to ask :
1. How stable will the DB if it reach 1 GB size ?

2. What is your suggestion if I want to split the DB ?

Thanks and Regards,

Amada

------------------

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Amanda-

I usually recommend converting to a multi-volume database when the size reaches about where you are at now, between 500MB-1GB. You have to convert to a multi-volume database before your database gets to be 2GB. Converting is fairly straight forward and there can be some good performance increases after converting. I am assuming you are running version 8, if you are planning on upgrading to version 9 in the near future, you will have to convert to a multi-volume database anyway (all v9 database are multi-volume).

I would recommend creating several extents of around 100-250MB each. I would probably allocate at least 1GB for the multi-volume database, to allow for some room to grow. Also, make sure your last extent is a variable length, otherwise you could run into problems when you database reaches the size you allocated.

Converting to a multi-volume database is convered in the System Admin Guide, I would recommend having a look at that.

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com