database from hp-ux11 to windows 2k?

wxu

I am new to progress. We use Progress 91D on hp-ux11. I have windows 2k progress 91D installed. Can we use the Progress 91D datafile on hp-ux to configure the progress database on win 2k? and how to do?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you just need a remote connection then you can connect to the HPUX database as a remote client using the -H & -S parameters. You'll need to have an entry in /etc/services (HPUX) specifying the port to connect on and you'll need to have previously started the server with -S.

If, on the other hand, you wish to have a private copy of the database on your windows PC then you need to dump the HPUX database and reload it on the PC. You cannot just copy the db files -- there are binary differences such as byte-order and other, undocumented, structures that are not compatible across operating systems (sometimes such a direct copy appears to work but, in reality, there is a significant chance that the db is corrupt and you won't find it until much later...) The only safe way to move databases between platforms is a dump and load.

coredump

Fimiliarise yourself with the following :
prostrct utility to create, delete databases.
Structure description files and fixed and variable length extents.
Dump and reload procedures.
This is off course assuming you want to install a copy of the database on Windows

You are normally safe(-ish) with a copy from SCO Unix to Windows at that doesn't mess the bytes up. But I'd always dump and reload first. HP-Unix - Windows, no chance.