automatic testing tools

adeclochez

Hello,
Our society is developing an ERP for food industry and as usual we obviously need to improve our quality…

We are going through the same questions as most of you had few months ago regarding testing tools. We really want to use one of these products for regression testing. The market is dominated by a few products like WinRunner from Mercury Interactive, Robot from Rational Software, QARun from Compuware. We spoke with some companies which put in place Mercury and the feedback is not as good as we expected!!

So, what about you? Did you go further in this way ?

And in this case, can you explain us what you think about this tool and what kind of difficulties did you have?

Our environment:
Progress 9.1D
50 users and growing.
Client server mode + Character mode.

QADTester

Hello,

Have you found any usefull software yet? The testing software market has evolved quite a lot since 2003.

If anyone has an experience with unit, functional, exploratory and regression testing to use with QAD/Progress data bases, please share it with the community.

Also if you are interrested in such a tool, let it be know because my company will definetly find a solution in the next few months.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
One of the interesting things I heard about at a PUG meeting yesterday was using the cloud for testing. Not only does this mean that one can run scalability and performance tests on large configurations without owning the hardware, but apparently there are companies that provide the licenses for the expensive testing tools so that one can use only as much as one needs. No specific companies were mentioned or recommended.

Which said, I tend to believe that the best time to fix an error is before it happens. If you are experiencing a lot of errors during testing ... or worse yet in deployment ... the best solution may not be a more rigorous testing program but to fix whatever is wrong with your development process which is producing the errors.

For starters, you might want to consider not using dinosaurs for developers! :) I'm guessing that must be the case because you are giving them dinosaur tools to work with. There have been 8 releases of Progress since 9.1D and we are warming up on another. There are many tools available with modern versions of Progress that are not available on ancient versions ... including unit testing environments.

grunnpi

Hi everybody !

Tamhas, you're talking about "unit testing environments" available in lastest Progress version : could you explain which one ? It's not ProUnit I think.
I'm looking for some Unit Testing stuff

Application I'm working on is most data collecting/processing oriented, not WebService or Sonic oriented (almost not)
ProUnit "JUnit" test style seems difficult to implement.
Actionnal is quite Service oriented, data context simulated through xml file ... our application manage large data amount and (too) many tables. difficult also.

Other opportunities ?
An

grunnpi

@tamhas :
But these OE Hive tools are only XUnit like empty shell.. that's great if your application is mainly process oriented.
But nothing like DBUnit, providing data upload method (only xml loading, but integrate data context logic)
Or "Actionnal", but without being WebService oriented.

@medu :
Quarix seems to be very similar to Actionnal... xml data loading, setting up data comparaison xml/post condition.

But thank you both for responding.

My compagnie is starting using HPQC to design non regression testing, but I'm not convinced it's worth developping inhouse bridge that could handle Progress connectivity.
More looking for "small" XUnit, but within data context handling.

Other option ?