Which AJAX Framework are you using?

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Hi All

I have been hunting around the net trying to find a Simple to use AJAX framework Javascript Library.

So far I have looked at :
  • Dojo
  • JQuery
  • Prototype (look's the best so far)
  • qooxdoo
  • Script.aculo.us (another possible)
I have written my own mashed up ajax.js file but it is not very robust. I am not a Javascript developer but I am learning.

I want to be able to post forms via AJAX request. Populate forms. Display a table where the data comes from a dynamically generated XML file from WebSpeed.

So back to my question but AJAX framework are you using?

James.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
none of them really so i can't compare.

i use spry, from adobe http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/

i use dreamweaver for everything web related and spry came in the box, so to speak.

the dreamweaver book i used did a fantastic job covering spry (i read the dreamweaver the missing manual. i went through half a dozen html/css/javascript etc. books this is the only book i should have read).

and the best part is the tight integration with dreamweaver and it's tools. i hardly needed to hack any code.

Cecil

Thanks Joey.

I have looked at spry before but I knocked on the head, but after your reply I looked at again. I have now developed a simple search and display results using spry I was surprised how easy it was to convert and existing HTML page with forms into AJAX page.

However I still can't find any really good examples/instructions using spry. The SPRY API documentation has conflicting and fictional (i.e. methods and attributes which are documented but don't exist) commands.

I download the "The missing manual" book but after flicking though a couple of chapters, it was showing a how-to using Dream weaver. Not sure if this is the correct book for me.

I will continue to keep looking for spry examples which are real world and not "This looks cool demo app... An't I cleaver", I don't need Bells and whistles.

Thanks.

Cecil

I'm starting to love SPRY. After 10 hours of google and reading SPRY documentation, I have created a working browser with search fillters.

I am still interested in what others are using as AJAX framework.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Hi Cecil :)

How are you ?

Do you have DreamWeaver (you'd need version CS3 or better for the built-in Spry integration) ?

If I didn't have DreamWeaver (and tons of us do) it probably wouldn't have been my first choice.

I use spry, mostly, because of the integration with DreamWeaver and the WYSIWYG tools.

Private message me if you need help setting up DreamWeaver CS3 on your computer.

Cheers

Cecil

Hi Joey.
I have managed to get a copy of DreamWeaver but I was having a little bit of difficulty trying to set up Server Source connecting to a Progress Database via JDBC. I could get it to connect but I was unable to see the tables and I was unable to continue.

James

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Maybe general ODBC/JDBC problem....
Did you set up SQL security for the database?

Casper.

Cecil

Maybe general ODBC/JDBC problem....
Did you set up SQL security for the database?

Casper.

I have followed the majority of the Progress KB entries to "grant db access" etc, but with no luck fixing the problem.

There are no error numbers begin return from Dreamweaver so I can't easily diagnose a problem.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Well, maybe it is a good thing to first check if everything is setup right. If you can query with sqlexp then at least that is ruled out.
I have none experience whatsoever with dreamweaver, so unfortunately can't help you with that....

Casper.