Question What if I change the listener-minport & listener-maxport in <database>.repl.properties?

amartinez

Hello people, how's going everything?

I have this doubt with these parameters in the target properties file.

What if I had, i.e., 3 databases with Fathom Replication and their properties files has this pattern?:
Code:
[agent]
   name=contingency
   database=<database>
   listener-minport=4011
   listener-maxport=4013

[transition]
   database-role=normal

I've been reading What ports need to be open for OpenEdge Replication through a firewall from the community knowledgebase and it says I can do it as long as "it can be guaranteed to always be available".

Now, I understand that "availability guaranteed" on ports means the ports will never cross with another service and it will be always a forwarding port. So, in this case, I am pretty sure the availability of these 3 ports will be always guaranteed.

Am I wrong? Is there something more implied?

A reason for this configuration would be to improve security and order in firewalling rules, doing ranges as little as possible.

Thanks for reading,
I hope to be clear, but let me know.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
At a minimum, the target needs a broker port (-S) and a port for the replication server process on the source to connect to the replication agent process on the target. If you want to minimize open ports, you could set listener-maxport equal to listener-minport.

Remember that on transition however, the roles reverse: source becomes target and target becomes source, so in terms of firewall rule configuration you will also need to allow for the ports required by the source to permit remote client connections, integrations, etc., unless you plan to reconfigure the firewall as part of your transition procedure.