Webspeed needs marketing and exposure PLEASE!

bino

Our company currently uses webspeed to connect our progress database to our website.

We use 2.1 and its works well. One caveat, however. SUPPORT, APPLICATION SUPPORT and just general knowledge of webspeed.

Progress really needs to hype this app and get some development books etc out on the market. I can not find one book, very few companies that know of or have heard of webspeed. If you develop and are looking at ASP, php, cfm etc or webspeed, I do not recommend webspeed unless you are a progress shop. all the other formats have a plethora of online information, support, hosting support etc.

Plus ASP, CFM and even php are recognized formats for many of the popular web editors and tools on the market (Dreamweaver, homesite, Netobjects, etc.)

I know it sounds like im bagging webspeed, but I just wish Progress would market and work out relationships with other companies.
Webspeed with progress works very well, but unless you are a progress shop and plan on having your web server in house, or using a
remote dedicated server forget it.

For example, I cannot find hosting provider (other than fort meyer) that knows of webspeed so I can run the messenger component on the server. I mention php, ASP, CFM, perl...No problem. I mention webspeed and a big what? None of them will let me do an install of the messenger component. It would do no harm, but because they are not familiar with it, I can not convince them to do it.

Hope this site and hopefully other third party companies start developing tools, apps and books for and about webspeed soon.

------------------

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Bino-

I agree with you, PSC does not put enough marketing efforts into their 4GL, RDBMS and WebSpeed products. WebSpeed is a great tool for Progress shops, but you're right in saying most non-Progress shops will not consider WebSpeed because it is an unknown to them. The point about hosting is true as well, unless you have your own server, most ISPs do not have WebSpeed expertise. There are a few though, but not enough.

I would love to see Progress put the same marketing efforts into WebSpeed as they have done with thier java-based products like Apptivity and SonicMQ.

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

lady_bug

Thats true even we at our company are struggling to find support for our system . . . i we only rely on forums cause most of us here are new to webspeed and progress . . . we develop a banking system at our company . . . and we are just on the development process and there are many problems we encounter and our only support is the forums and progresstalk . . .

RobPaceCommerce

I am a major fan of Webspeed and have built quite large applications with it.

When you say Support etc, do you mean the Webspeed product or application support? Also, I would suggest you look at upgrading to Webspeed 3 (Openedge) as I found the reliability and XML handling to be better.

Also, with the emergence of Software-As-A-Service, I think the "Progress Who" will be less of an issue as the service is delivered over the Internet, so the user is not aware of the technology. If they enquire about the technology, then my response would be, "I use the best technology to ensure reliability, performance and should a DR situation arise, I can get your system up and running quickly".

I suspect marketing will be improved by successful Webspeed applications making the news, rather than marketing the specific "Webspeed" name as this is not promoted as such within the Openedge product set.

lady_bug

I am a major fan of Webspeed and have built quite large applications with it.

When you say Support etc, do you mean the Webspeed product or application support? Also, I would suggest you look at upgrading to Webspeed 3 (Openedge) as I found the reliability and XML handling to be better.

Also, with the emergence of Software-As-A-Service, I think the "Progress Who" will be less of an issue as the service is delivered over the Internet, so the user is not aware of the technology. If they enquire about the technology, then my response would be, "I use the best technology to ensure reliability, performance and should a DR situation arise, I can get your system up and running quickly".

I suspect marketing will be improved by successful Webspeed applications making the news, rather than marketing the specific "Webspeed" name as this is not promoted as such within the Openedge product set.

we are using webspeed 3. . . the problem is we are having so many problems on our database . . . and now because of that, the company are planning to shift to Oracle . . . . i hope that progress would put more efforts to support their client in their technical problems. . .

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
The problems are not related to the Progress product, because it is a good product, the problems must be related by the way it is implemented.
If you don't find the right people with Oracle you are bound to face the same problems.
There is no such product which you can make crappy and leave it unattended in the hope that it wil work out.
Perople like Tom are more then willing to assists with any database problems you experience. And I can assure you, that is much cheaper then switching technology.

Casper.