Upgrading from Syteline 4.0020 to 5.0010

RickH

We would like to upgrade syteline from 4.0020 to 5.0010
I have the CD's as I understand it, the version of progress needs to be upgraded first to ver 9. then the symix system. Nevertheless, I'm concerned with the fact that even though we have a multi site enviroment, I would like to test the upgrade first before we hit the "live" database. Since no two versions of progress can be on the same server what can I do? any ideas?

Also has anyone upgraded to 5.0010 and what do you have to say? is it worth it? are there lots of functionality changes?

Any help or insight on this would be appreciated.

Rick

jamesmc

Hi there Rick,

We run several versions of Progress on the same server in both Unix and GUI environments. We have several Progress applications, our manufacturing system is running on v8 and a really old maintenance system is running on v6 (which is now ready for the scrap heap I think). The databases and server brokers for these only run in Unix but the clients connect to the databases via both character and GUI clients and we don't have a problem. Just make sure that your DLC variables point to the correct Progress directory (as well as all of your scripts etc).

Perhaps you might want to install the new version of Progress on another machine, dump or copy the database across to that machine and perform your upgrade and tests that way? Just a thought.

HTH,

James.

kmorrogh

2 versions of progress on same server

You can have 2 versions of Progress on the same server. They must, however, be installed into different folders/directories and then one must tailor the Syteline scripts to use one or the other. Consult the Progress installation manuals for help on installing two versions of Progress on same server. It can be done... you just have to be a bit careful. You will also have to install SyteLine 5 into a different folder and tailor the scripts to use V9 Progress, e.g., DLC8.x for SL4 and DLC9.1a for SL5.

A warning: Syteline5 is supported by Progress V9.1a05. If you are running Windows NT server, there exists some serious problems with this configuration. It appears that there is a problem with remote client servers in Progress v9.1a running under Windows NT server. See "memory leaks" and "Progress error Number 893" in this forum. I recommend that you put off the upgrade until a stable Syteline/Progress combination exists. I don't know if this problem exists on other platforms, e.g. Unix, erc. Talk to your Syteline rep about this.

RickH

James, and Kmorrogh thanks for your feed back. I'm not a "progress or syteline" expert so we are planning to use a VAR
to do the upgrade for us. How did you guys upgrade, did you use a consultant for the upgrade? or did you do it yourselves?
Any help on this would be appreciate it. Also, how much functionality change is in 5 compared to 4? Screen changes, etc

Any input would be greatly appreciated.,

Thanks!