Strange 'find' issue

Dan Dragut

The whole thing started because we are trying to use the same database for storing different languages (codepages), but I have encountered some strange issues about finding a record when using double byte characters.

1. I have converted the Sports database to UTF-8 and then I started the database using -cpinternal UTF-8.

I've prepared a client using -cpinternal SHIFT-JIS, created a Customer record, update the Comments field and input some long string containing double byte characters (Japanese in my case); the record stored ok.

I have tried then a FIND FIRST Customer WHERE Comments = '...' and suprise! I didn't find the record. The strange part is if I'm trying to find the record using WHERE Comments MATCHES '*' + some-3-characters + "*" (or BEGINS first-3-chars) it's finding the record!

2. The same Sports UTF-8 database, started using -cpinternal SHIFT-JIS. The find that failed above is working perfectly now.

At first I thought I did something wrong when I converted the database, but I guess not. Can somebody please point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dan