Question Schema Change on DB with OE Replication

Edgar Kan

I made a schema change to the source database with OE replication is still going - I found the online backup is still working fine after schema change is done.

Question - Can someone tell me do I still need to apply schema change to the target database?

Thank you in advance.

Edgar

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Why do you mention that the online backup is still working? Was there some reason you thought it might not?

As Rob says, schema changes (new tables, new fields, new indexes, etc.) will be replicated.

Structural changes (new extents added, that sort of thing) are not.

Another rule of thumb: if you *must* take the db offline to do something (like an index rebuild) it does not get replicated and you will need to rebuild the target.

Edgar Kan

Great! thank you guys, now I understand a bit more how O/E Replication works!
you guys are really 'pro' !!!

I did not realize the schema change is going to be replicated to target DB as well.
The reason I was checking the on-line backup
-- if source and target DB is out of syn, then on-line backup will fail.
That's why I was checking it.

I would like to understand more about O/E Replication ....
I am also new to Progresstalk - how do i find out / search for more related Post or Documentation on this subject?

Thank you in advance again.

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I did not realize the schema change is going to be replicated to target DB as well.
As Tom said, any transactional change (a change described and mediated by BI and AI notes) made to the source database while OE Replication is active will be propagated to the target, as the AI notes are streamed from the replication server process on the source system to the replication agent process on the target system. The agent applies the transaction notes to the target DB.
The reason I was checking the on-line backup -- if source and target DB is out of syn, then on-line backup will fail.
I'm not sure where you heard that but you can still back up your source DB successfully when replication is not in sync.
I would like to understand more about O/E Replication ....
I am also new to Progresstalk - how do i find out / search for more related Post or Documentation on this subject?
Welcome to PT! I suggest you start with the PDF documentation set for your OpenEdge version. Start at this site and you can download the entire set of documents in a zip file. There is a whole manual dedicated to OE Replication. I also suggest reading the Database Essentials and Database Administration manuals. The former contains some generic database concepts which you can skip if you know the material, and then it gets into specifics about Progress' implementation of those concepts. Both manuals will be helpful for understanding concepts like the before image and after image files which is essential for using and understanding OE Replication.

Other material that may be helpful:

From BravePoint Virtual Interchange 2010:
Gus Björklund, Progress Software/Dan Foreman, BravePoint
Practical Progress OE Database Internals (contains a good high-level overview of how the BI works)
slide deck
video

Tom Bascom, White Star Software/DBAppraise
After Imaging, The DBA's Best Friend
slide deck
video

Adam Backman, White Star Software/DBAppraise
OE Replication - Your Options Explored
slide deck
video

From Progress Revolution 2011:
Rob Marshall, Progress Software
Demystifying Progress OpenEdge Replication
slides/audio

From PUG Challenge Americas 2011:
OE Replication Made Easy
slide deck

Also, if you're able to travel to the Boston area in June, be sure to attend PUG Challenge Americas 2014, the premier Progress technical conference of the year. Three days of pure technical sessions and workshops with no marketing fluff, for one low price. And a special deal on on-site accommodations! Book now for early-bird pricing.
http://pugchallenge.org/register.html

If you're not in North America, there are other conferences you can attend from time to time. PUG Challenge EMEA happens in Dusseldorf this year in November. Details here: http://www.pugchallenge.eu/

Edgar Kan

As Tom said, any transactional change (a change described and mediated by BI and AI notes) made to the source database while OE Replication is active will be propagated to the target, as the AI notes are streamed from the replication server process on the source system to the replication agent process on the target system. The agent applies the transaction notes to the target DB.

I'm not sure where you heard that but you can still back up your source DB successfully when replication is not in sync.

Welcome to PT! I suggest you start with the PDF documentation set for your OpenEdge version. Start at this site and you can download the entire set of documents in a zip file. There is a whole manual dedicated to OE Replication. I also suggest reading the Database Essentials and Database Administration manuals. The former contains some generic database concepts which you can skip if you know the material, and then it gets into specifics about Progress' implementation of those concepts. Both manuals will be helpful for understanding concepts like the before image and after image files which is essential for using and understanding OE Replication.

Other material that may be helpful:

From BravePoint Virtual Interchange 2010:
Gus Björklund, Progress Software/Dan Foreman, BravePoint
Practical Progress OE Database Internals (contains a good high-level overview of how the BI works)
slide deck
video

Tom Bascom, White Star Software/DBAppraise
After Imaging, The DBA's Best Friend
slide deck
video

OE Replication - Your Options Explored
slide deck
video

From Progress Revolution 2011:
Rob Marshall, Progress Software
Demystifying Progress OpenEdge Replication
slides/audio

From PUG Challenge Americas 2011:
OE Replication Made Easy
slide deck

Also, if you're able to travel to the Boston area in June, be sure to attend PUG Challenge Americas 2014, the premier Progress technical conference of the year. Three days of pure technical sessions and workshops with no marketing fluff, for one low price. And a special deal on on-site accommodations! Book now for early-bird pricing.
http://pugchallenge.org/register.html

If you're not in North America, there are other conferences you can attend from time to time. PUG Challenge EMEA happens in Dusseldorf this year in November. Details here: http://www.pugchallenge.eu/

Thank you Rob, these are great !!!
Edgar

ps. I signed up the Boston PUG Challenge Americas 2014