Progressively slow connections with Progress ODBC at launch.

I have an application that requires me to connect to several progress databases at the same time. It takes as long as 40 seconds for this to happen. If I start with just one, it takes 5 seconds; two 9 seconds ... four 40 seconds (the last one takes 20 seconds more than 3 databases, but includes my largest database; by far). I am not using anything more than just -db mydb -S myservice -H myhost to perform this connection. I am curious if I can speed things up a bit. I am also curious if the size of the database to be connected is an issue due to the addition of the fourth database in the sequence causing so much of a slow down.

Thanks!

This may in fact be the issue. The one database accounts for half of the wait time. It is a large database with alot of user connections. I will look through the connection parameters.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
A very large -L could contribute to this. I believe there is a full scan of the _Lock table when a client connects, and when it disconnects.

Possibly there could be contention for the USR latch on that database; just a guess.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It could also be that your server configuration is poor. Especially if you have large -Ma and -Mi values. That would make it so that all of your clients are sharing a single server and as more clients are added each gets a smaller and smaller slice of that servers attention.