[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: SQLite for temp tables

• Thread starter rblanchard@ospreyretail.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rblanchard@ospreyretail.com

We have been using SQLite for our embedded database with our tablet application for years. We wrote a wrapper around the SQLite .net library. Works great. Our tablet application runs totally offline from the OE backend. Update from Progress Community dbeavon I've been playing with the use of SQLite as an embedded database. It is one of the most popular ones. OE ABL uses local files in the session temp directory to store its temp-tables. I was just thinking how cool it would be if OE ABL had an option to keep its local TT files in SQLite instead of the proprietary format that it uses today. ...After filling the temp-tables with data from from the OE database, we would have tons of powerful options that we don't have today. Today we can obviously interact with the TT records from the ABL language (like they were OE database tables). But if the data was stored in a local SQLite database, then they you would also be able to run SQL queries against them, or transfer the connection to the database file to a different application in order to do follow-up analysis. This SQLite stuff performs very well, and a wide variety of other types of applications could use the results. (IE. the temp data would no longer be locked up within the context of a single ABL session, and wouldn't require marshalling to get the data out of the session .) Its just a thought. I suspect Progress ABL is permanently married to its own format for temp-tables. It would be nice if other options were available. Even a simple alternative like having a ProDataSet:WriteSqliteDatabase() option would be super valuable (similar to WriteXml but sends it do a SQLite database to allow for subsequent SQL queries). Thoughts? Is it possible to move forward with ideas like this in the OE ecosystem? View online You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum. To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here . Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.