progress 10.2B the dictionnary is in read-only mode while opening database admin

toychamp

In progress 10.2B I get the error "the dictionnary is in read-only mode" while opening the database administration tool.
On my pc (windows xp sp2), After uninstalled progress 9.1d and installed progress 10.2B, I got this error.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
That is expected depending on the Progress products you have installed. You have to have a development license to have write access to the dictionary.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Are you starting a single user session with -RO?

Is it a replicated db?

What sorts of licenses does "showcfg" say that you have?

toychamp

Thank you for the quick response.
So I need to install the developer license to be installed on all my pc's ?
If that is the solution, fine by me.
I will try it...

The reason for my post, is that I am installing new pc's with progress 10.2B and windows xp sp2.
And I want to create a database, where I want to load a definition file (.df) from version progress 9.1d and a a lot of data files ( .d file(s) ).

Is this the right way to do an clean upgrade from version 9.1d tot version 10.2B ?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The "right way" all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

But, FWIW, IMHO nothing involving Windows XP SP2 can really be considered "the right way". Although it is a lot less wrong than 9.1D ;)

If the users do not need developer licenses then you probably ought not to be deploying them (among other things it is rather expensive).

You could just:

1) 9.1D: proutil dbName -C truncate bi
2) 10.2B proutil dbName -C conv910

and that would get you converted.

I suppose that starting from a .df file and loading data is, in some sense, more "pure" but there is little point in doing that unless you also implement type 2 storage areas (which you definitely should do -- but perhaps as phase 2 of your conversion...)

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It would be very unusual to have a development license on every PC unless every PC was staffed by a developer. Moreover, if you are loading the same .df and .ds on each, then why wouldn't you distribute a complete database instead? And isn't the database shared?

I suggest you tell us something about your application and your current architecture before we can provide sensible advice. You *can* move the DB from 9 to 10 without a dump and load, although chances are that some change in database layout would be a good idea.

toychamp

Dear,
I have a kassa application with a progress database version 9.1d on windows xp.
But now windows xp is gone, I had to upgrade to windows 7 and progress 10.2B.
So I thought doing a dump of the database schema into a .df file and dumping the data into .d files from progress verison 9.1D.
And than create on my windows 7 and progress 10.2B pc the database first and than load the .df file and the .d files was the only clean solution.

But as I read Tom his answer,
1) 9.1D: proutil dbName -C truncate bi (I have to do this on my windows xp with progress 9.1D pc ?)
2) 10.2B proutil dbName -C conv910 (and doing this on my windows 7 pc with progress 10.2B ?)
this should work ?

toychamp

If I want to make a database modification on my pc, I need the developer license to be installed in progress 10.2B ?
Or is there another way to load the .df incremental file ?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
But as I read Tom his answer,
1) 9.1D: proutil dbName -C truncate bi (I have to do this on my windows xp with progress 9.1D pc ?)
2) 10.2B: proutil dbName -C conv910 (and doing this on my windows 7 pc with progress 10.2B ?)
this should work ?

That is correct.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If I want to make a database modification on my pc, I need the developer license to be installed in progress 10.2B ?
Or is there another way to load the .df incremental file ?

That depends on what you mean by "modification".

Changing the db structure (anything in the .st file) can be done without a development license.

If you wish to add tables and fields to the schema or compile code then yes, you need a development license.

Upgrading the db or dumping and loading can also be done without that license -- but upgrades across versions will require a recompile so there needs to be a development license somewhere. If this is code that you write and control then you must have such a license somewhere. If it is vendor code then the vendor is likely providing you with the means to take care of this.

Stefan

Progress OpenEdge installations also contain 'old version' tools. So with 10.2B you should have a directory %DLC%\bin\91dbutils which contains 91truncatebi.bat - this should allow you to truncate your 9.1 database without having 9.1 installed. I do vaguely recall having had an issue with this in the distant past, so the safest method is to truncate the bi with the actual version you are using.