Answered PDFinclude and using -y start up parameter

Tracy Hall

Hi my name is Tracy and I am new to progress. I was asked to set up progress to make reports on what files are actually being ran during sessions and I need to eventually get them to be saved as a PDF. I am in a unix system and I guess I am putting this in the script file that the user is executing to start up progress.
Do I need to look at anything besides PDFinclude documentation? I didn't see anything that seemed to meet my needs. I may have overlooked it though.

Tracy Hall

Thanks Tom. I think the PDF thing may be for later. I got the first part done. I am not great at progress, but I am a clutz when it comes to writing scripts and stuff in linux. I feel out of my element. I am learning though. I am not really sure why that would matter. I know that I am going to have to do something with this data we are collecting in a month or so.

Thanks again!!
Tracy

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Hi Tracy and welcome.

My favorite is to generate reports in a basic HTML file. These HTML files can be easily styled to create some great looking reports. The next thing I do is to use wkhtmltopdf command line utility to convert the HTML files into PDFs. The nice advantage of wkhtmltopdf is you can include headers and footers with automatic page numbering, plus other theirs other features.

Tracy Hall

Thanks Cecil! He ended up giving that to the seasoned developer. I am sure it was not hard, but I have a bigger project on my plate, so I was glad to avoid that.

I am sure there will be a need for it in the future though. Toolbox stuff!