1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Openedge 12

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TomBascom, Feb 9, 2017.

1. TomBascom

TomBascom Curmudgeon

Colleen just announced that 11.7 is the end of the line for the OE11 series. "12" is planned for 2018.

This means that OE10 joins v9 in the retirement home...

3. Cringer

Cringer ProgressTalk.com Moderator Staff Member

Just so I've got it straight it retires when 12 is released? Correct? Good news! Although it does mean you'll be waving your curmudgeon stick around a lot more... ;)

4. TomBascom

TomBascom Curmudgeon

Technically, yes, it is not formally retired until 12 is released. But for most purposes oe10 has been de-facto retired for years now...

5. Cringer

Can't wait to see the back of it, despite the fact it means a lot of upgrade work!

6. Rob Fitzpatrick

Rob Fitzpatrick ProgressTalk.com Sponsor

If I recall correctly, 9.1E was still clinging to life in the 11.0 days. So, especially given its still-strong install base, we may not see 10.2B08 retire right when 12.0 ships. That's just my guess, I don't have any inside info on that. But I have heard that they're actively planning 12.x features now.

But certainly 10.2B is living on borrowed time. No one should plan to upgrade to it at this point, and anyone on it should have a solid plan to upgrade from it soon.

7. TomBascom

TomBascom Curmudgeon

She was very clear - when 12 comes, 10 goes ;)

8. Rob Fitzpatrick

Rob Fitzpatrick ProgressTalk.com Sponsor

I guess they don't want to repeat the slow rollout that v11 had.

If that's the case, hopefully the v12 feature set will be more appealing than MTT and BPM were. People will upgrade when they see business value that offsets the cost.

9. Cringer

They've committed to focussing on 'Always On'. About 10 years too late, but that's worth paying for if they get it right.

RealHeavyDude likes this.