OE Certification

rzr

Is there a resaon why Progress does not provide certification for openedge and/or other products?
How do i call my self an openedge certified programmer?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Because there is no demand (from employers) for OE certification.

My sense is that the various certifications that people used to list on their resumes were all a bad joke, if not an outright "red flag", anyway.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Heard of someone being interviewed who was fully certified in SQL but had no idea what a stored procedure was or what it would be used for.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Because of people like those mentioned in the post prior ;)

Basically there often seems to be a negative correlation between certifications and competence. And that negative correlation seems to become exponentially larger as the number of certifications on a resume rises.

Or maybe I'm just a curmudgeon ;)

FrancoisL

A OpenEdge certification would be so funny! If it anything like the licensing it would be a incomprehensible mess . You would get Certification Agent or Named User Certification . If your company has more then 50 programmer then you need a enterprise based certification that would offer a few more option but would cost 10x the price by programmer. Then you would have a progress certification maintenance fee each year that would be about 10% of your certification and if you don't pay for a few year , you would need to pay back all the maintenance that wasn't paid and a fee to get back your certification ....

Of course with all this , progress would setup no way of verifying certification and it would be based on the programmer good faith... Maybe they would setup a certification .lic file that would collect incomplete information on certified programmer so that it can be used by sales rep to blackmail people in paying more for the certification!