Odbc For Progress 11.6

We have an ERP system (running on Windows) that has to access Progress DB (running on Linux) with ODBC connection. Can someone provide me steps to configure ODBC drivers and provide me some sample connection strings?

Does Progress Data Direct comes along with Enterprise version of OE 11.6 or do we have to purchase separately? It would be great help if you can provide me with some sample connection string using data direct as well.

RealHeavyDude

1. You need to set up a secondary login broker to solely serve the SQL clients. Otherwise you might run into trouble of SQL clients completely consuming remote servers that should serve multiple 4GL clients. Plus, you need to configure the SQL security because it might not come out-of-the box as you expect it. Have a look into this KB articles for the how:
    1. Progress KB - How to set up a secondary login broker for SQL-92 connections for Progress 9.1D and above
    2. Progress KB - Basic Guide to Defining Progress SQL-92 Database Permissions & Security
  2. Since you are mentioning connection string I just asume you are talking Java: Have a look into this KB articles:
    1. Progress KB - Sample Java Program to Access Progress SQL92 Engine via JDBC
    2. Progress KB - What are the steps to configure JDBC driver on OpenEdge 10.1A or later
Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Some OpenEdge product installations also bundle the SQL drivers, so you might already have those on your Windows box depending on what is installed there. If not, you can download a package called SQL Client Access from the ESD site; it contains the SQL drivers you need to install on the client side.

@Rob Fitzpatrick I was about to ask you if this driver comes free or is a licensed one. The application that we are talking about is a 3rd party ERP application that gets details from our progress database and sends us the responses that would be required for the other workflows from progress side and generates reports that provides statistics for management. They use weird ways to get data from Progress via 'C' application, we wanted to see if we could make use of ODBC connection and appserver to get rid of that C application - but we are still in the initial phase of discussion; will have to do a POC to see how it works.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The driver itself is a free download, provided you license one of the products that includes it. That's my understanding, anyway.

That said, you need to think about your database license, what its license terms are, and how many more users this new ODBC connection might add. If you're replacing one application client with another then it should be a wash. If you're going to increase SQL client user count for some reason then you might have to increase your RDBMS license user count, depending on the license model.

RealHeavyDude

In Progress V6 ( yes - beginning of the 1990s ) I supported an application that use the HLIC interface to access the Progress database from a C program ( ODBC was not availabel back then, at least not in Progress V6 ).

Is HLIC still supported in OpenEdge 11.6? Wow!

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.