ODBC Error message

Kenmath

Hi,
When I try to open my progress db from access (linked tables) using my current odbc driver I get the following error message :

2011-10-13_121211.jpg

My odbc driver is INTERSOLV 3.11 32-BIT PROGRESS

Progress version 8.3C (I know it's an old version)

My driver should not be design for that...I guess...
Do you know which driver can do that ?

Thx
BR
Mathieu

Attachments

• 2011-10-13_121109.jpg
    2011-10-13_121109.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 19

RealHeavyDude

Progress V8 does not support "real" ODBC access. By "real" I mean something like SQL92 plus a corresponding database engine. As far as I remember in V8 you needed to start - dammit I don't know anymore how the thing was called, could it be the Open Interface Broker? - an extra server to which the client connects via the driver and which in turn forwards the request to the database. It was SQL89 and it really sucked.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Kenmath

That what I though...no real database access...
On the db server there is some ProControl services called APP_BROKER, ACT_BROCKER and BROCKER running...
I can't find the Open Interface Broker...
Yes it's really sucked...I can't do what I would like to do !!
The database connection option on my current odbc driver is configured for a Direct Database Access Mode...
It's working fine with our reporting software (Impromptu)...but maybe only with this software...

BR
Mathieu

RealHeavyDude

As far as I can remember with version 8 Progress introduced the capability to access the database via ODBC. The Progress database itself never was an SQL database and it is still no SQL database today. What Progress has done over releases is to introduce an SQL database engine parallel to the native 4GL database engine and they continually try to get closer. The main driver for implementing capabilities to access the database via ODBC was because they neither offered a reporting nor a business intelligence solution which most companies began to require. [Here I need to add that they tried for a reporting solution, namely the infamous Report Builder, but kicked it out, brought it back in and finally kicked it out again.]

Bottom line: If you want to use the SQL capabilities of the Progress database and won't get frustrated too much you need to be on a recent Openedge 10 release.

HeavyRegards, RealHeavyDude.

Kenmath

Hi,
Thx for the informations...

What about this :
http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc-progress-mt/

I tried the single-Tier (Lite Edition) but not working :
Connection unsuccessul
CONNECTION ERROR : [OpenLink[ODBC] Unable to allocate server handle, SQLSATE=S1000

I will now test the Enterprise Edition which is installing something on the server side...

BR
Mathieu