ODBC connection to a Progress 8.3B database

michel74

Hello,

I'd like to create an ODBC connection to the progress 8.3B database used by our MFGPRO 8.6E ERP, in order to make queries on it for various report purposes. The final client application would be an internal php site hosted on a different server. You can see the my configuration details at the end of this post.

I downloaded the ODBC driver UDA Single-Tier 5.1 Lite Edition, (15 days trial version), and installed it on my workstation to test it.

I first had an error message saying "system error 126 SLQSTATE=IM003" testing the connection within the windows XP ODBC utilitary, wich I found was caused by a missing dll (esql32.dll). So I installed the Progress client on my workstation, wich solved this problem.

Now, I'm having another problem on testing the connection: it sends me the error code "CONNECTION ERROR : unable to allocate server handle SQLSTATE=S1000 ".

I must admit I'm totally blocked at this point, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks by advance.

Configuration of the MFGPRO server:
-Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP4
-Progress 8.3B
-MFG/PRO 8.6 E

Configuration of the test workstation.
-Windows XP Pro SP2

Configuration of the final desired client of the odbc connection:
-Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP4
-Apache web server 2.2.4
-PHP 5.2.1
-MySQL 5.0.27

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
8.3B is very, very, very old. And Progress SQL connections in those days aren't very stable and have some nasty side effects (like starting a transaction even for clients that don't update, which is only ends once the SQL user disconnects).

Progress 8.X doesn't have sql92 support. You need to use the OIB/OID for connecting to the database together with a merant 3.x Progress sql89 driver.

Look at this article how to configure this:
http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/Group.jsp?bgroup=progress&id=17204

Starting version 9.0A of Progress the sql-92 engine was introduced.

But anyway, if you really intent to make a website which is actually used in a production environment using SQL, I strongly advise to upgrade to at least OpenEdge 10.1B. (This probably means upgrading to a newer mfg-pro product too...)

HTH,

Casper.

OpenLink

Hi

Looking at the error you report this may be due to your Progress DLC and PROCFG environment variables not being set, thus I would suggest these are set system wide on your machine such that they are picked up by all applications.

Should you still continue to have problems I would suggest you either log a support case with us at:

http://support.openlinksw.com

Or post your problem on our support forum at:

http://boards.openlinksw.com/support

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
OpenLink Software

michel74

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Casper: the problem is that I don't have access to any release of th Merant drivers, and I can't find a way to even dowload a trial version. If you have a link...

OpenLink: I'v followed your advise and opened a support case. If it helps, I'll post the solution here. Concerning the PROCFG variable, is it on the client or the server side? And which file should it target to?

Thanks again for your responses, Michel.

OpenLink

Hi

The DLC and PROCFG variables would be set on the client side machine where the OpenLink Single-Tier Progress ODBC Driver and Progress client networking software are installed.

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
OpenLink Software

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi

The DLC and PROCFG variables would be set on the client side machine where the OpenLink Single-Tier Progress ODBC Driver and Progress client networking software are installed.

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
OpenLink Software

Hugh,

He said he opened a support case @openlink Software. The thread is from Aug 4 2008.....

Don't revive old threads for this.

Casper.