ODBC Connection Problem: Connection Refused socket closed

hill0425

Hi,

I am trying to connect from Windows 7/2008 systems to a Progress 10 system (unknown platform) via the ODBC drivers, and intermittently receive this message:

“[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Connection refused. Verify Host Name and Port Number. [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Socket closed.”

When I initially try to connect to the specified port (2501), the server responds in a way that tells me to reconnect to port 1025, which fails. After some time (maybe 10-15 minutes), it will then direct me to port 1026. After more time, it directs me to 1027, which succeeds. Later still, it will go back to port 1025, and fail again, and so on. This same thing does not happen when I telnet to port 2501--it just tries to connect to port 2501.

The local support team has not been particularly helpful, so does anyone have any ideas as to what the cause may be? If more information is needed, please let me know what may be useful to know and I will try to get that from them.

Thanks,

-Brian

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You might ask the support team if they are using -minport & -maxport to define a port range for the incoming Progress connections. It would be a good idea if they do so and set that range to some *unused* ports. Something in the 10,000 or 20,000 neighborhood is usually good.

trx

It rather seems there is firewall somewhere between client and server. Usually ports below 1024 require special privileges to open - like superuser in Unix. So first user-accessible ports (for processes without root privileges) starts with 1025. When you initiate first time connection to port 2501 server creates new socket for this connection on first port available to user - which is 1025 (allocated by server in user range, as there is no -minport & -maxport) and returns to client. Obviously there is client-server communication as client gets information about this port (1025). For some reason client is unable to connect to port 1025. When you initiate another connection (in sufficiently short time, before socket 1025 is closed) then first free port on server side is 1026 and so on. Usually setting -minport & -maxport allows sysadmins to open ports in range in firewall.