ODBC Connection issues with OpenEdge 10.1C

virfen

I am using a MS SQL 2008 linked server to connect through the ODBC connection to our Progress 10.1C database. The connection works however we have dozens of reports that run daily.

A report will run fine but then the next report will fail:
Error: Drivers SQLSetConnectAttrfailed
Broker rejects connection
Optional feature not implemented.

Then I cannot run a report again against the linked server for an hour. It is as if the connection is not dropping off or allowing me to connect again.
If I go in and disconnect the SYSPROGRESS connections I can run a report again.

This is a software we purchase and the backend is Progess 10.1C.

Please help!

RealHeavyDude

Knowledge Base says:
ID: P136897
Title: "Intermittent ODBC connection failure: Connection refused. Verify Host Name and Port Number."
Created: 11/04/2008 Last Modified: 06/17/2010 Status: Verified

Symptoms:
Periodically, an SQL query using the ODBC driver, will fail with a connection error.
[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Connection refused. Verify Host Name and Port Number. [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Socket closed.
The ODBC trace log created by turning on ODBC tracing shows that the socket has closed and the connection has been refused.
DIAG [08S01] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Socket closed. (7503)
DIAG [08S01] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Connection refused. Verify Host Name and Port Number. (0)
DIAG [IM006] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed. (0)
Connections are refused periodically, about once a day.
Connections are refused for about an hour, and then after that period will be accepted.
Only two out of the three network cards installed can be successfully pinged during the time period when the SQL connections are refused.
Running Start --> Settings --> Network Connections shows that one of the network card's status is currently disabled.
The network card that cannot be pinged is configured as a teamed, logical network card.

Facts:
Network card teaming is also referred to as link aggregation.
The machine has three network cards installed and configured.
Running an ipconfig /all command on the server shows three network cards.
The network cards are teamed into a single logical network card.
Windows
OpenEdge 10.1B

Cause:
The teamed, logical network card is not currently enabled.

Fixes:
Enable the teamed, logical network card's network connection by running Start --> Settings --> Network Connections.
Right click on the disabled connection and choose Enable.

Notes:
References to Written Documentation:
Wikipedia, "Link aggregation", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation
Microsoft TechNet, "Ipconfig", http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490921.aspx
Progress Solution(s):
P5815, "How to turn on ODBC tracing on UNIX?"
BTW, you should not use the user SYSPROGRESS in daily business. It's granted DBA privileges, therefore you should create a dedicated report user.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.