Question Need AI reorder or not? Please clarify.

Mike

Unix envisronment :-HP-UX
Open edge version:-Open edge 11.2
Db size :- 40 GB

DB blocksize :- 8192

AIMGT = enable and archiver enabled
ai interval= 36000
Daily offline backup after that Db starts with archiver directory.

we have 4 ai(after image extents) .I want to add more 4 extent with same size 400 MB so transactions flow.

Please advice Can i add more 4 fixe extent each 400 MB?

Note:- Somebody said i need to do ai reorder?? Please advice i am confusing.

structure file below:-

#
d "ComunArea_idx":20,1;64 /db1/db/fsdb1_20.d1 f 2300032
d "ComunArea_idx":20,1;64 /db1/db/fsdb1_20.d2
#
a /db1/ai/fsdb1.a1 f 400000
#
a /db1/ai/fsdb1.a2 f 400000
#
a /sar/ai/fsdb1.a3 f 400000
#
a /db1/ai/fsdb1.a4 f 400000

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Your ai interval of 36000 basically means you will be switching on demand and not automatically. As a result if you lose the main DB server you'll still be losing all the work done since the last backup you got off that machine. IMO that interval should be a lot smaller although that does depend on how much work your business can afford to lose.

I don't know what you mean be an ai reorder. Who said that. What do they mean? What is their justification?

Why is one ai file on a different volume?

Why are you using fixed ai extents anyway?

Mike

Hi Sir ,

Apologies my bad, that value is 3600 (1 hours) not 36000 and ai path also same /db1 not /sar

So, this article says about reorder ai's below while adding extent.

Actually, I need to add 4 more ai extents 400 mb fixed like above so just a doubt can i add just like creating a file add.st ?
We need this coz recently there was an issue coz during AIMGT got stuck and was not able to switch next extent. So, I decide to add more ai extent.

and just prostrct add add.st.

Can you please give me your valuable suggestions?

Thanks and Regards
Mike

Your ai interval of 36000 basically means you will be switching on demand and not automatically. As a result if you lose the main DB server you'll still be losing all the work done since the last backup you got off that machine. IMO that interval should be a lot smaller although that does depend on how much work your business can afford to lose.

I don't know what you mean be an ai reorder. Who said that. What do they mean? What is their justification?

Why is one ai file on a different volume?

Why are you using fixed ai extents anyway?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I'm not against you having more extents. If you currently have only four, that is a small number, barely more than the minimum. It is especially low when you have fixed extents.

But if your AIMD got "stuck" and couldn't switch to its next extent, why do you think that having more extents would help with this problem in the future? You should focus on that problem.

What happened in that incident? How did you determine that it was "stuck" and that it couldn't switch? What were the messages in the log?

Do you have an AI archive directory that is on a network share like an NFS mount?

Mike

Hi Rob ,

Thanks f
I'm not against you having more extents. If you currently have only four, that is a small number, barely more than the minimum. It is especially low when you have fixed extents.

But if your AIMD got "stuck" and couldn't switch to its next extent, why do you think that having more extents would help with this problem in the future? You should focus on that problem.

What happened in that incident? How did you determine that it was "stuck" and that it couldn't switch? What were the messages in the log?

Do you have an AI archive directory that is on a network share like an NFS mount?
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. No Ai directory not in NFS. We have aistall and aiarchiver enable interval 3600 so Can you advice if i add more 400 mb ai extents? .Do we need to do with ai reorder? Or just add ai extents and start db with AIMGT?

Thanks and Regards
Mike